Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Day 9 Feeling Good

Good evening everyone,

Well, Bob continues to be in fine spirits, but now I'm sure it's due to Matts' visit. They have really been enjoying each others' company today, w/ the conversation now turned to the finer points of the role-playing games they play on the computer. That is why I am in the family room writing this note. Matt spent last night w/ his Mom, and will come back to Kulpsville tonight to spend some time w/ us. We'll be down again tomorrow and Saturday to see Bob, and Matt will return to Memphis Sat. evening.

Bobs' appetite is still strong despite the gray, soggy mystery meat on his dinner tray(supposedly Salisbury steak, but I now have Matt as a witness who agrees that Bob must be really starving to eat this food). His thrush and conjunctivitis are under control, and the gum wound continues to look clean. He's had no fevers yet, but all of his counts have dropped minimally today. The staff are trying to prepare him for being, in what they call, a leukopenic coccoon. In other words having your life revolve around the fact that you have no WBC or immune system to fight infection. I guess that even though we are aware of what is coming, it is still going to be tough when it hits. They told Bob to expect fevers tomorrow or Sat., and he will also probably receive a platelet transfusion tomorrow. His hgb is holding at 8.8.

Bob's still doing well w/ his laps...6 at a time, for a little over a total mile each day. He also looks quite full in the face, thanks to the steroids. All in all, I continue to be impressed with how well Bob has done so far. I better be getting back to my guys, they were sounding a little rowdy when I left.

We send our love and thanks to all. Matt says hi back to all who sent their regards. Once again, I just can't find the time to answer all the calls and e-mails. I hope this blog will serve to inform everyone about Bobs' condition in my stead. Please remember us in your prayers. We do feel the support and love you are winging our way.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mo.. how come you never used those vocabulary words when you talk with me??!!! So happy to hear Bob is in a holding pattern right now and not too low.. hope the fevers don't get him down..your blogs are very informative so i dont feel as though i need to ask anything..your doing a great job.. take care of yourself now also.. love ya..mdf

April 06, 2006 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo...sounds like all is going well..that's as it should be!! It's great that Matt is here ,and THAT,I'm sure is contributing to Bob's good spirits (rowdiness is real good for the soul) so don't yell at them Reen.I'm happy to make something yummy to eat..what sounds good to you Bob...any requests???Michelle and I took the jellybean to the pediatrican today ,Mackenzie is 28 inches long and 17lbs (she is in the 98% for her age) what a little doll she is ..a screaming little doll but too cute for words..at least she calms down for Mich(the doc said that's all that really matters at this age) O.K. if she insists but... it's not much fun for me yet...I want to hug her to pieces and she won't let me..now who's nuts ??? I guess the jellybean is just protecting her territory! Well guys,the prayers are just about to start for tonight..I continue to keep sending the positive vibes and happy thoughts..Bob ,I picture you on a beatiful lake ,with blue skies ,sun shinning on crystal clear water ,and fish just lining up to jump in your boat..O.K. you do have to bait the hook and try a little (where is the sport otherwise?)Mo ,I definitly do not picture you cleaning all these fabulous fish, so don't worry about that!! Anyway, take care and much love from the Z crewxxoo:)Bev

April 06, 2006 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI again, I was just reading the blogs from the previous days( I can't sit at the desk very easily yet ,so I don't read each day)..I never knew you were in the Air Force Bob..what else ??are we all missing..what a riot..I love it ! I can picture you now all dressed up in a romantic AF uniform and looking good.Mo can you get some pictures on the blog?? Don't get your Knickers in a twist (only if you say so Bob)..All sent with love in good fun..after all you must have looked real good! Bye for now again :)Bev

April 06, 2006 11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well so far. Enjoy those steroids while ya got 'em! Mo, you're doing a great job. I'm very impressed. Prayers from Souderton floatin' your way every day. Keep on fighting, Mazzola! Love, Mussie

April 07, 2006 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mo and Bob, please know that I'm thinking of you and keeping you both in my prayers. Mo if there is anything that I can do for you, please let me know. I hope that Bob keeps doing well. Love, Mary Gerhart

April 07, 2006 8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
Glad you still feel pretty chipper. Doing laps and eating that horrid food too?
Sorry Deb, if you read this, but it sounds like Bob is racking up some serious miles even without the "lap nazi", and with bum knee too!
We're headed to NC this afternoon for spring break. Which means I'll be a little out of touch (more than usual,some would say). Will continue to pray that things will stay on track and keep running smoothly. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you both and all the FOB's.
Love, Kim

April 07, 2006 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salisbury Steak was always one of the most dreaded meals way back when I was in college. If it looked at all like that hamberger on Saturday, that is just scarry! Glad to here Bob is still walking around in circles, now for a mile, that is good work. We will be leaving tomorrow to blow some bubbles but will keep in touch. God bless the internet and God bless you!!

April 07, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi all, so glad to hear Matt is in town and you all are having an enjoyable visit. Dr. Bob, you must be downright famished to be eating the food at HUP. Keep up that appetite - you need your strength for the journey! Mom says you look great - she said to give you all her love. We brought the family up to her for the weekend. We're thinking of you always and we'll continue to keep you in our prayers. Hang tough!

April 07, 2006 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home