Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Day 7

Dear everyone,

Wow, I can hardly believe we are on day 7 already. Bob did, in fact start the chemo last night and so far, so good. He has what he tells me is "steroid euphoria" today. They premedicate the patients with zofran and decadron to prevent nausea and vomiting from the chemo, and Bob says 20mg of decadron is = 100mg of prednisone or 500mg of cortisone. So the bottom line is he is having ZERO knee pain today, and feeling pretty happy too. Steroids supposedly are a mood elevator also. He was up to 6 laps at a shot today, and moving faster than I've seen him in 5 yrs or so. He is eating everything they send him, and says "it's institution food.....whaddya' expect. He was eating an egg salad sandwich when I spoke to him at dinner time, after his celery soup and carrot-raisin salad. To all of which I would say "Blecchh" and be down in the gift shop w/ Deb buying chips and a coke. Here, all these years I thought Bob was such a gourmet, and took it as quite a compliment when he cleaned his plate when I cooked. Now I come to find out....the man will eat anything. Just kidding, I always knew Bob would eat anything.

We had a very busy visit today. We met the pastoral care minister, a very compassionate, friendly woman named Kava. We spent over an hour talking to her(or I should say occasionally, Bob, in his euphoric state, would let Kava and I get a word in edgewise). I get the feeling that she will be a wonderful resource for us. She is very easy to talk to, and listened intently to what we said. And I loved her b/c before she left, she told Bob he was a fascinating, caring man. I felt like she really got a sense of the wonderful person he is, which as nice as your drs. and nurses can be, until they actually sit down and converse with you, they don't really know you. It was also enlightening for me, b/c Bob told her stories from his Air Force days which I had never heard. So you must cut me a little slack, at this time in our lives, to crow about Bob, as he is one in a million, and I am one lucky girl to have snagged him.

We also met with our social worker, Tricia, who I also feel will be a great resource person for us. She is already looking into a few things for us, so we'll hear from her again soon.

On a medical level, Bobs' wbc's(white blood cells) were 1.9 today, hgb(hemoglobin) was 9.2 and his platelets were 61(thousand). That is a low WBC, but what the staff is concerned with as far as fighting infection is the absolute neutrophil count or ANC, and Bobs was over 1000 which is good. To fight infection it should be at least 500. Maybe that is why the open wound in his mouth looks so good today. I can barely see it compared to 2 days ago. All his mds were impressed by that today, and are glad they decided to go ahead w/ the chemo. So full steam ahead.

Bob is really looking forward tomorrow to his son Matthews' visit. Matt is a tekkie to the nth degree, and is bringing Bob a portable dvd player fully loaded with all the games these guys like to play. He lives in Memphis, and we haven't seen Matt since Sept., so it will be a wonderful gift for Bob, and I know it's really going to raise his spirits.

That's all the news that's fit to print today. We thank everyone for their blogs, cards, calls and support. You all are great, and we really appreciate it.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

PS, I have to clarify that Bob is not shaving his mustache off. I just meant in case it falls out from the chemo, that I had never seen him w/o it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Bob,
I just can't believe you are diging the food! You must really be hungry or were welltrained from the Air Force days to eat what they put in front of you or go hungry. Not that i have ever gone hungry. You know how i loved Mac and Cheese.
I'm glad things are goin smoothly and Thank God your mouth is getting better. See your first miracle! I wish i could be charming and witty butttttI'm not. However, i am full of love and concern for you and also full of prayers. I will see you tomorrow when i visit the clinic. Love Deb

April 04, 2006 8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. does that mean i am the first to post MDF?

April 04, 2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo and Bob,
Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. How you can eat that food is beyond me, but I'm glad you're eating at least Bob. It's blustery out there, hope you are all snuggled in. Enjoy your visit with Matt and Deb too?
Love and prayers, Kim
By the way Mo, I agree that you were a lucky girl to have snagged him....but, he was equally lucky to have snagged you my friend!

April 05, 2006 8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Well you are off and running now to a full recovery...and I guess literally also doing six laps ! So Bob what does it feel like to have no knee pain ???
Having read the other comment as to "who snagged who" let me add this is one sister in law who absolutely knows you each got the best !!!
Love ya,
Anne

April 05, 2006 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Sounds good...except the HUP food. I agree Mo, I'd be down there with you and Deb eating chips and soda!!! Maybe that HUP food isn't as bad as we think..hahaha.
Glad to hear you are doing those laps..do one for me since I don't seem to get enough exercise..:0
Now..thats a interesting visual..Bob without his moustache..Bill shaved off his beard..once...yikes!!!(Don't tell him I said that) I am so thankful the mouth sore is healing..we are keeping the prayers a comin..
Love Gloria

April 05, 2006 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Bob,

Glad to hear that you are doing so well with your first dose and are enjoying the food. It sounds like your body is fighting back with good results in your mouth.
I have kept the prayers up every day for you and Deb. Take care.

Love,
Jean

April 05, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the word is 'gourmand', he enjoys it all. I do recall he is also an expert on diner food. He has already exceeded the lap expectations too. The news is sooo good. We can definitely donate some videos as well but I quess he has watched LOR more times than he needs to. Then you might con Sammy out of some of his Penn and Teller. They are worth a laugh and that is good medicine. Say hi to Matt for us.

April 05, 2006 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Bob and Mo...Gee what will be your next favorite meal...the green pea soup :) Glad you are doing this good so far..i am thinking about you and saying the prayers. Deb, I hope you read this because I can't find your blog or email, but know how much i am thinking about you as well...love you all Brenda

April 05, 2006 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home