Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Day 6

Dear friends and family,

Bob will be starting his chemotherapy tonight( we hope...or as Bob says, I'll believe it when I see it). All his doctors conferred, and we met with our hem/onc Dr. Luger and the attending hem/onc Dr. Maillard and they are all in agreement that the chemo should be started. The ID dr. and the oral surgeons do not feel that there is a great degree of infection in the gum at this point. Bob has been on ABX, and he has not had any fevers. They will closely monitor the site, and of course keep close tabs for other signs of infection. But at this point, they feel the need to treat the AML is the major priority. Also, at this time, since many of Bobs' white cells are abnormal, the drs. think Bob will respond to the ABX and heal better once the chemo starts attacking the leukemic cells. Soooo, the chemo is ordered, the consents are signed, and we are waiting. Bob was going to call me when it was started. They usually give the chemo at night, since the day shift is busier. There are 2 drugs....daunorubicin(mispelled I'm sure) is an IV push drug given once a day for 3 days. Cytaraben is a continuous IV infusion that will run 24/7 for one week. I will of course keep you updated on his response to these drugs, or poisons as Bob refers to them. He just has a way of cutting right to the heart of things doesn't he?

He continues to be in fine spirits, teasing all the young interns and fellows. Hasn't quizzed anyone that I know of, but he did ask the GI dr. if he'd done many endoscopies before Bobs'. He has had only high praise for the medical and nursing care so far. He even corrected me on the need for an endoscopy, saying they had to do it even though there was a suspicion it would be normal. We met a woman today named Marty McCartney(don't know if she's related to Paul), who is the director of guest relations. Unfortunately we didn't get much further than introductions when we were interrupted by a dr.'s visit. Hope to see her again.

Bobs' appetite remains in excellent condition, and he's not having any trouble with the HUP food so far, except getting it that is. The computer continues to list Bob as fasting, and all the nurses are very perplexed about it. However his lunch and dinner trays were delivered today, so p'raps that problem has finally been remedied. The lap nazi would be proud of Bob today. he's up to 4-5 laps at a go, and they are not "Debbie laps" he says. He plans on doing the requisite 17 per day which will equal one mile. And trust me when I say that is more exercise than he has been getting each day at home. I gave Bob a haircut today (I hear that snickering from you guys). I have been using an electric shaver for several years now....not quite sure on why we ever started that. Anyway, he also has to use an electric razor on his face now. So he looked real purdy today. We are not certain how much of Bobs' hair will fall out from the chemo, but he says he already looks like he's been a regular on this floor, so what will it matter. But I have to say that I have never seen Bob sans mustache. He has never shaved it off in over 20 years. He tells me there's a mole under it on the left. I'm getting a little frightened, to tell you the truth.

Okay, so that's the scoop for today. Sorry I've been posting so late, but I have been staying at the hospital later than I anticipated. Again, thank you to everyone for the calls, cards, e-mails and blogs. I'm sorry I haven't been able to return all the phone calls. Please know I truly appreciate your concern for my welfare, as well as Bobs'. Please keep us in your prayers, especially now, that Bob will have an uneventful course on the chemo.

All our love and thanks,
Bob and Mo

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yippee.. im first.. and speaking of first. i honestly didn't know Bob even had that much hair to cut..but good for him.. and san mustache..yikes..it will just bring out his beautiful.full lips.. right?! Hope he does okay with this chemo.. glad they finally came to a decision.. and remember Mo.. you can always, call or write if you feel like it..im 3 hrs behind you!! Godd Luck Dr. Mazz..i've included you in my episcopalian prayers!! mdf

April 03, 2006 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, i meant good luck.. see. the prayers must have already been forming in my mind..

April 03, 2006 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Bob and Mo,
Well I hope all went off as planned last night. Bob without his mustache...just can't picture it !
I will be leaving for Florida on Thursday to help mom pack up and return home. Bill will keep me updated on your progress. And as always you both will remain in my thoughts and prayers 24-7.
Love ya,
Anne

April 04, 2006 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it went well last night. Remember if you are there late, you have a room just down Lancaster Ave. Just lock your doors and go straight until you see Lankenau then take a right at the next light. Can a mole survive under a heavy bush for that many years? I dont remember Bob without it. Good luck on one more lap each day. Does this mean that Bob never used the walking program at home? Take care.

April 04, 2006 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Roberto,
Thinking of you every minute and i can just picture you "teasing" the medical staff. That's the spirit! These people will become like family to you so i pray they are all kind and caring. I'm so glad you like the food.That will give you something to look forward to. Well stay strong and remember one day at a time. We love you
Deb and Joe

April 04, 2006 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Mazzola,

Hope all went well with last evening.
Belated Happy Birthday. It sounds like you had a fairly nice day considering the circumstances.

Keep the laps going. I understand the knee pain issue. I have been trying to walk a bit lately and the pain gets to me. I am thinking of heading back down to Jeff for a round of shots in my other knee.

Take care, you are always in my prayers. Mo, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Love to you both,
Jean

April 04, 2006 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo too...sorry I'm so late logging in but it took me all day to get up enough energy to sit at this dang desk...I hope your chemo went well..don't be too quick about shaving off your mustache..J&M's friend Anthony, never lost his facial hair after chemo( he's the one they gave 2mos to live...that was 2 years ago now and he has NO leukemic cells in his Bone marrow to date..same doc's) anyway, I found a bakery in Doylestowm that has a ricotta cheesecake(the owner says it's fab) I'm going over to get it on friday ,so hopefully it will be a nice treat for you!! Well, Sean Smullen sends his best(as he was smoking my uvula and soft pallette) it was a unique experience that I'm sure you do not want the details of..if this does not work, then it's in the hospital for the real deal...the idea is to cause scaring that will shrink the tissue etc. etc. we shall see..So enough for now ,of course, God's blessings for always, prayers, positive vibes and good Veal Parm (that cures anything)xxoo,novenas and roasaries abound love:)Bev

April 04, 2006 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo too...sorry I'm so late logging in but it took me all day to get up enough energy to sit at this dang desk...I hope your chemo went well..don't be too quick about shaving off your mustache..J&M's friend Anthony, never lost his facial hair after chemo( he's the one they gave 2mos to live...that was 2 years ago now and he has NO leukemic cells in his Bone marrow to date..same doc's) anyway, I found a bakery in Doylestowm that has a ricotta cheesecake(the owner says it's fab) I'm going over to get it on friday ,so hopefully it will be a nice treat for you!! Well, Sean Smullen sends his best(as he was smoking my uvula and soft pallette) it was a unique experience that I'm sure you do not want the details of..if this does not work, then it's in the hospital for the real deal...the idea is to cause scaring that will shrink the tissue etc. etc. we shall see..So enough for now ,of course, God's blessings for always, prayers, positive vibes and good Veal Parm (that cures anything)xxoo,novenas and roasaries abound love:)Bev

April 04, 2006 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not get why my blog is going in twice??? ...man this is tough..here I thought I was soooo smart :( sorry,Bev

April 04, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hey Guys -

Glad to hear that you are making progress there at HUP. Rock on. I'm with Bev - go easy on the facial hair or oops! Are we too late with that? Still curious as to whether you and my friend Debbie are bunking up or not...
Prayers and thoughts are coming your way - from London.
Cheers - K

April 04, 2006 7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
I hope the chemo did finally get underway. The sooner you get started, the sooner you'll get out of there! Hope you can keep your appetite throughout (even with those mouth sores).
My Mom is here and wants you to know that Jerry has the Mercy nuns praying for you also. You can never have too many people praying for you!!
Hang in there. Love, Kim

April 04, 2006 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home