Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Day 2

Dear friends and family,

I'm sitting in the family room at Rhoads writing this. I'm killing a few minutes while rush hour traffic dissipates__hopefully. Bob just went down for his line, so I was wrong about 3pm. First thing in the morning at HUP is 5pm. And that is the only negative thing I will write about today.

I will tell you that every staff member we have encountered so far at Rhoads has been wonderful...very kind and caring. We too have a Nurse Patty. She did not tell us her title, but she works w/ social services to coordinate insurance probs., support groups etc. She seems like she will be a big help. Bobs' primary nurse is a very sweet girl named Rachel. And I'm telling you, there are a lot of Doogie Howsers here. They must've lowered the minimum age requirement for medical licensure. These residents and interns look impossibly young. I'm sure I looked older than them when I was in high school. Bob did see our hem/onc today...Dr. Luger. She is going to San Francisco for a meeting, and thinks we will see her again on Monday. I was not here when she was in this am. When Bob told her about our experiences yesterday, she told him she had 4 pts. who did not get admitted as scheduled. This place is so huge that breakdowns in communication are commonplace, and that, as we see it is the biggest problem.

So, I'm going to close now. I'd like to get home at a decent hour. My niece Megan is staying with me, and my parents will be down this weekend, for which I am very grateful. I thank everyone too for their offers of a bed, and I am keeping them all tucked in my mind. Oh, Bobs' chemo is due to start tonight, but not really expected to kick in w/ big side effects(i.e. lowered counts) for another week or so. I will let you all know of course how it goes in the next few days.

Please keep us in your prayers.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Bob,
Well hi there my friend. I will keep my messages short but full of love and support as you know my computer skills are non-existant. We love you to pieces and know that the next few weeks will be tough. The good news is there are many hands to help you and you are strong willed and have the best nurses and docs to see you thru this. We will be down to visit and i will keep an eye on Mo for you.
love Debbie T

March 30, 2006 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob abd Mo,
Sorry we couldn't get to see you both tonite ...I guess our schedule was not on HUP time ! We will go to plan B and try to get down on Sunday as we are helping Katie move into her new apart. this Saturday.
Our love and prayers are with you both 24-7.
Anne

March 30, 2006 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love to you Mo.(And of course, Bob). Thank you for the blog site. I can imagine it must be hard to care for Bob and do this too. But I just wanted to thank you for putting out the effort to keep us informed. Big hugs to you and prayers for Bob. Jax and Con.

March 30, 2006 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Uncle Bob.
Well I'm really really glad that Aunt reen made this blog!!! Anyhoo since I can't see u for a while I just thought I'd let u know that me and Amy(my best friend) are setting a goal this trimester to get honors, just to make u proud!!! Feel better, I know that you'll get better soon, I just know it!!! I love u soo much, your the greatest uncle EVER!!!
Love You,
Kate Noon

March 30, 2006 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A blog from debbie t.. now if that isn't inspiration and know how i don't know what is.. well , at least you sound like your settled... hope tomorrow goes okay for you with the chemo.. mo.. your doing a wonderful job with the blog.. ttyl.mdf

March 30, 2006 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Bob and Mo,

I hope you both got some sleep last night. Bob, I keep you in my prayers everyday.
Mo, anything I can do let me know.
Love,
jean

March 31, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont worry Mo, I have it on good authority, young Sam, that the purpose of a blogg it to vent. you should feel free to let it go. I am glad to hear that the staff is almost as good as you are. I know Bob is focused on what he needs to do. We are trying to get down Saturday, late afternoon /early evening. Let me know if we can bring anything. Love you both.

March 31, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hi Mo and Dr. Bob-

Greetings from Copenhagen.

It sounds like something is rotten not only in Denmark, but also at HUP, too. Maybe we should start calling that place Fiascoes R Us? Ay caramba. Hope you are both hanging tough. As my friend Bob Powers used to tell me when the Sugar-Honey-Iced-Tea used to hit the fan; "Don't let the f*&ckers wear you down."

But then again he also used to bark like a dog for no reason.

Maybe the next time the snafus start piling up you should try that - barking like a dog, I mean. What the heck, it couldn't hurt and it might even lighten things up. It will certainly make people wonder what you are up to!
Geez, maybe I'll head out to the hotel balcony tonight and let loose a few yelps for you myself!

Seriously though, I have been thinking about you both and sending you my prayers. I will redouble my efforts in asking for enlightened individuals to cross your healing path and smooth your way as you begin your treatment. Stay strong, stay centered and remember there are a lot of people out here pulling for you.

Love to you both - Kris McLay

How nice to see Debbie T here. Debbie, I sure hope this means that you are feeling better and doing well. mdf - good to 'see' you as well.

March 31, 2006 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Lots of prayers for you from the sems and the Pink Sisters. Hope to get to see you next weekend. Happy B-D!! love,candy

March 31, 2006 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home