Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Monday 3/27/2006, 2 days before admission

Hello everyone,

First of all, I have to say, please bear with me as I'm creating the blog. I thought posting a comment on Debs' blog was tough...whew! I had no idea. I just hope this works.

So, we have been rather busy this past week. Bob, in typical Bob fashion, made a To Do list 30 minutes after getting the news last Tuesday, and has been working hard on that. Getting the taxes done, going over bills w/ me, that type of thing. He feels his best in the morning, and that is when he gets the bulk of the work done. He's been sleeping well, albeit with the help of a sleeping pill. He was being plagued with muscle spasms of the back and neck after his last hospitalization, but they have stopped. Fatigue continues to be a major drawback, but he rests through the day intermittently. He is, as I write this, on his way to the post office and the Quest lab for his biweekly blood count(CBC). You'll have to forgive me if I forget, and go all medical on everyone. There are so many medical abbreviations. Just let me know if I get too technical.

We had a nice weekend. Bobs' brother Bill, his wife Ann, Bobs' sister Santa and her husband Sam, all visited on Saturday. We had a wonderful time...they have great family stories(with the most outrageous ones usually involving Bill or Sam!)...and we shared a lot over a big pot of stew and some delicious red wines. Bob loved every minute. We have been in close contact with Bobs' son Matt who lives in Memphis. He is planning to come up next week. That will be just what the dr. ordered.

The plan continues for admission to HUP on Wednesday morning. Bob will have to have a central venous line placed(a big IV in his neck) through which his chemo, blood and drugs will be given. He may need an infusion of platelets before they do that, to prevent any bleeding at the site. At any rate, we expect the chemo to be started by Wed. evening. Bob already had a heart scan done at CMMC last week and he passed with flying colors(EF of 74 %, for all you doc.s out there). That is a routine test that must be done, as the one chemo agent in particular can affect the heart. So, all that's left is to pack up. I think we may need a trunk already, what with clothing, toiletries, books, magazines, cd player, cd's, pillows, etc. Actually, maybe a pack mule won't be out of line either!!!

I want to close by thanking everyone for their calls, cards, e-mails and visits. We appreciate them all. Bob sends his love to you all, and please continue to remember us in your prayers.

Love,
Mo

P.S. I will post Bobs' room number, room phone number and address when I know them. He will have a cell phone, and the number is 215-760-5116.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Dr. Mazz here we go again!Still can't call you Bob, but don't feel bad, i still call my father in law(who is coming out for his month visit) Mr. Foley.. think it's a respect thing, although now that im almost 50, i think i can still be respectful and call you Bob.. anyways. good luck with all of the next stages.. i will be thinking and praying for you guys also, take care.. mdf

March 27, 2006 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and Mo,, you're impressing me with your techonology skills.. you go girl....mdf

March 27, 2006 3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blog is great, Mo, you did a terrific job, almost as good as the Soda Bread! Glad to hear that Matt is coming. Take one step at a time. You know where to find us for anything.

March 27, 2006 5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Outstanding Mo, don't know how you did it, but I'm sure impressed. I agree with Santa...almost as good as your stew ! Know that you both are in my thoughts and prayers each and every day. Mo, anyday, anytime this house is yours. Bill and I plan to see you Thurs. nite.
love ya both,
Anne

March 27, 2006 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Mo!!! I am impressed.
I am keeping the both of you in my prayers. As has been said, take it one step at a time. I am glad to see the Matt will be up. Mo you can call me for anything,at anytime. You know how to get me.

March 27, 2006 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob, I joked last week about you leaving me your truck. When I heard the diagnosis I felt a little bad about saying that. But on second thought, I think you should consider it. I would take good care of it.
Until you could drive it yourself to our next Striped Bass Fishing Trip in the Spring.
www.injurlaw.com (Sam)

March 27, 2006 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job with the blog Mo...what a great idea!!!
Our thoughts and prayers are with the both of you!! If there is anything we can do, just give us a call. Hang in there! Take one day at a time and stay strong. I will keep checking the blog for updates. Also, if you play canasta when Bob is bored, just watch him! :-)

Love,
Joe & Lisa

March 27, 2006 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI BOB AND MO
GREAT JOB MO!! I'M IMPRESSED. BOB TAKE CARE AND GET BACK HOME SOON. WE WILL TRY TO KEEP YOU ENTERTAINED WITH THE BLOG UNTIL THEN. MO CALL IF YOU NEED ANYTHING!! TALK TO YOU SOON.

LOVE,
HOLLY

March 27, 2006 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Mazzola! Rumor has it, no one has the guts to be your private duty. I am MORE THAN WILLING to attend to your every need. Including foley cathether, NG, and rectal tube if needed. Just call me. My broom is always on idle. That should scare the shit out of you. Love you. Connie (and Jax by association but I am the more harmless of the two. I offer hugs, and of course, my love and support.)

March 27, 2006 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Mazzola! Rumor has it, no one has the guts to be your private duty. I am MORE THAN WILLING to attend to your every need. Including foley cathether, NG, and rectal tube if needed. Just call me. My broom is always on idle. That should scare the shit out of you. Love you. Connie (and Jax by association but I am the more harmless of the two. I offer hugs, and of course, my love and support.)

March 27, 2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger bill m. mazzola said...

Hey Uncle Bob and Aunt Maureen,

Great job setting up the blog so that everyone can keep up with wha's going on and be up to date on how things are going.

Truth be told - this is no big deal. Just another speed bump to drive over. Just gotta take your foot off the gas, get over it, and you'll be back to normal speed in no time at all.

My thoughts are with both of you. Love you both.

Bill

"You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We will be here."

-Meriadoc Brandybuck

March 27, 2006 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo, you did a great job setting up this webpage, I'm duly impressed. I just tried to registed my name as an official "blogger", and it didn't like any sign on name I chose. So, I'm back to being an "other". It will do for now.
Bob, you are in our prayers for a speedy recovery. I'm hoping for another miracle--but a quick one this time. I know Mary Ellen Reilly will take good care of you too, just like she looked out for Deb.

Mo, please let me know if there's anything I can do for either of you--you know I'm unemployed!

March 27, 2006 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Bob and Mo..I am so impressed with the techo skills! I will be thinking of you often and praying of course. I feel like this is an internet reunion reading from the old friends! Good luck tomorrow...Brenda

March 28, 2006 6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,all of your friends at the fishing hole in Hancock NY send their best! And all this time Mo actually believed you were fishing!Love you! Stardust,Amber,Mudhoney and Fanny Hill

March 28, 2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hey Mo and Dr. Bob-

Thanks for sending along the blogsite - I'm sending along my prayers for the best possible outcome of your treatment. After our experience with Debbie we know it's going to be tough, but we also know that good things can come out of it.

Dr. Bob you must be an extra special good patient - with all these folks volunteering to act as private duty nurses - maybe I'll have to strap on my old nursing helmet and join them? (Warning: They didn't call me Nurse Diesel for nothing.)

Mo - sending you good vibes as you gear up for this undertaking as well.

All my love, fellow FOD and newly appointed FOB- Kris

March 28, 2006 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. If you need anything at all let us know. kitty and carol

March 28, 2006 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo, Yvonne shared your news with us this am @ tennis. Needless to say, a pall was cast & the sun did not shime so brightly. However, prayers are with you both. Tell Bob that the "Ladies Breakfast will not be as much fun without our honoring guest. He is to get well quickly so that he can rejoin us soon. Cathie N

March 28, 2006 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY MAZZOLAS. thinking of you both today..hope day one goes smoothly.. love and prayers..mdf

March 29, 2006 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job Mo. Our thoughts are with you every day. Charlie and Dawn

March 30, 2006 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home