Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Day 3___Posted on the morning of day 4

Dear friends and family, co-workers and patients,

I wanted to clarify that this blog site is open to anyone who wants to send Bob a message. This, of course, includes all the wonderful people he works with at the office, but his patients as well. I specifically asked Bobs' partners to share this site with you. Bob cares very deeply about his patients.And I know, from all the get-well messages, he has received over the past 2 1/2 years how much you all care for him. He would be thrilled to hear from you. Provided of course, you are not requesting medical advice. So please feel free to write a note, and pass this site on.

Now, I will apologize for not posting last night. My niece Meg and I went to a friends' house to share a pizza and cheesesteaks, and the night went a little longer than I expected. That is why this post is titled day 3. So, here is what happened yesterday. Bob had to fast again after midnight Thursday, b/c someone decided he needed an upper endoscopy, since he never had one after his 2 episodes of GI bleeding in Feb. Never mind that our GI drs. knew it wasn't indicated...they had to see for themselves(are we sure it's not " HUP 2, 3, 4 " ). Guess what...the upper endo was normal!!! After a yummy fish lunch, we spent the entire afternoon at the dental clinic. The resident(another 12 yr. old girl) who took him down said I didn't have to go along b/c it was just for x-rays and she would bring him back....yeah, right. She doesn't know I'm already wise to the ways of " HUP World", as my friend Joe calls it. Three hours later, we arrived back on 7 Rhoads with the assistance of a transporter, the resident having effectively disappeared an hour before that. Now, some of you may already know that Bob has had previous infections in his mouth. These have required extractions, gum and bone surgeries, and bridge implants. About 4 weeks prior to admission, Bob noticed his gums were sore and his mouth was dry. He went to see his endodontist who gave him special rinses etc. and told Bob he needed to see an oral surgeon. Well, than we found out Bob needed the Bone marrow bx. and we went to HUP for that. We told our hem/onc about Bobs' mouth at that time, and were told to put a hold on the oral surgeon. When we were given the diagnosis of leukemia, we again questioned our hematologist about Bobs' open sore in his mouth, and were told it was most likely from the leukemia and would go away after the first few days of chemo. My specific question on Wednesday morning was "is it okay for Bob to have chemotherapy with this gum sore", and we were given the same answer. Now after multiple x-rays, a CT scan of the jaw, probing Bobs' mouth to take tissue and bone samples, it seems there is the question of whether or not it is safe to give Bob chemotherapy with an open wound in his mouth. And this is probably osteomyelitis or osteonecrosis....bone infection with dying bone tissue, which may or may not be related to the leukemia. Mind you, I am not trying to place blame. I know things change in medicine when you're dealing with the human body. There will be a conferring today of the oral surgeons, infectious disease md.s and the hem/onc dr. on call. Bob was started on antibiotics(abx.) last night, and that may be the course of treatment for 2-4 weeks before the chemo may be started. That is what has to be decided today. Is the leukemia acute enough, that the risks of severe infection in Bobs' mouth outweigh the benefits of waiting until the infection is cleared up? The degree of infection in the bone will play a large factor in this decision, and that will be revealed on the CT scan( for which the poor guy missed dinner again b/c he had to fast for an 8pm scan w/ contrast). I can happily report that his birthday is off to a good start this morning. He had a huge breakfast of eggs, sausage, 2 bowls of cereal, a blueberry muffin(remember Deb eating those every am.) and juice. He requested an Inquirer and some home-brewed coffee, and since it's his birthday I guess we can manage to come through w/ that.


We are going to have lots of goodies to share w/ the staff, as Meg ordered a sour cream pound cake, an Italian rum cake and cannolis for her Uncle Bob, since she wasn't sure what he would feel like. This really frosted Deb T. who actually stamped her feet and said she wanted to get the cake. The woman never stops giving. Oh and I must also tell you that a patient/guest relations rep. visited yesterday and wanted to hear our whole sorry tale of admissions woe. She gave me a few free-parking passes and said she will definitely be looking into the whole fiasco, and get back to us.

Well, I better get rolling. Gotta get to the bakery, and brew some fresh coffee for my sweet April (nobodys')Fool. Bob enjoys reading the blogs, and sends along his thanks for everyones' prayers and get-well wishes. I will keep you posted. Please continue to remember us in your prayers.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

PS to Hatfield Girl, I always wear my seat belt, and I only do 70mph on the turnpike where the speed limit is 65mph. Believe me, I am very careful on the Schuylkil. Although, I must say I'm getting more and more used to it. Not that I'll ever love it!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo and Bob: I guess I shouldn't be surprised by the problems you've encountered, many the same that Deb found during her stay at Hotel HUP. But I am. I just can't believe the process can't run more smoothly for patients and their families who are already at their wit's end fighting disease.
Happy Birthday, Bob! Not exactly the best way to celebrate, but I know Mo will make the day special for you. My prayers include you both.

Cathy

April 01, 2006 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Dr. Mazzola!

Hope I am the first patient to blog. Not the best place to celebrate your birthday but hopefully you are on your way to recovery. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife. I will continue to track this blog and hope to hear good things soon.
Ann Morgan (a patient)

April 01, 2006 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bob. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys and we can keep up with your progress thru this blog site..great job Mo, i'm impressed!! We love you guys.
Bill and Gloria :)

April 01, 2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Mazzola and Reen:
I just wanted to let you know that the whole Corrado family (and that's alot of people!) are praying for you and wishing for a speedy recovery. I told Meg to tell you if you need anything, to let us know. Our thoughts are with you!!
Love,
Katie Corrado and the rest of the family

April 01, 2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Happy Birthday, Dr. Bob!

I agree not exactly the best place to be celebrating but sometime you just have to party where you are.

Who knew you were a fellow Aries?

Glad to hear that you have Mo riding herd on that crowd there at HUP and wish I was there to have some of that pound cake. I've heard Debbie rave about them for just about forever, and you're right Mo, she definitely is the woman that keeps on giving.

Thinking of you both and sending you all the best - Kris

April 01, 2006 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just not the place you want to be for your bday, so if they decide to treat with 2-4 weeks of antibiotics will you be able to come home? or do you have to stay there for that???? hope you can come home.. put your feet up. and enjoy all of maureen's homecooking and cleaning! Hey,, it's got to be better than fasting and drinking contrast!!! Bob, thinking of you and wishing you well wishes about everything... mdf

April 01, 2006 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bob! If I were you, I would have to try a piece of each bakery item....Heck, it is your birthday!!
Joyce and Jerry send their love and best wishes for the April Fool!! I'm sure you already received her card since she never forgets. Now, I definitely wouldn't open anything my Mom wraps in a candy box (ie. surprise dried horse biscuits)! I know that was @ the "old NPH", many moons ago, but I'm sure you've never rec'd another gift quite like that one.
Mo, you are the best and I'm sure the big day was as special as it could be.
Hang in there you two!
Love, Kim

April 01, 2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bob,
I talked to you just a few hours ago and truly forgot to say Happy Day ! I guess our day in the Big Apple moving Katie into her new digs fried my brain. I will be following Mo's daily report in hopes things reallyturn around for you. In the meantime love you both to pieces.
Anne

April 01, 2006 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home