Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Day 8 Rolling right along

Hi everybody,

Bob continues to feel well, despite a few minor side effects, which needless to say we are praying stay exactly that...minor. He has developed a case of thrush in his mouth which is completely common when you're on ABX, and have a low wbc. That will just be treated w/ an anti-fungal liquid medicine. The drs. also noticed a trace of conjunctivitis, also a common side effect from the chemo. For this he has started on steroid eye drops. Unfortunately they will not have the systemic mood elevating effect that the decadron gives. Although Bobs' "euphoria" has pretty much passed, he is still in a great frame of mind, just not as gabby today. He enjoyed a visit from the Debster herself, who was at HUP for a blood transfusion, and of course the usual cast of characters all make their appearances throughout the day. He also had a nice conversation w/ our sister-in-law Anne who will be in Fla. for the next 5 days w/o blog capability. Lastly, in the side effects column, Bob is retaining fluid, displayed in a 10 pound wt. gain today. Deb said, Ah, that's why your face looks so full. She thought and I agree, that Bob does look remarkable. It must be that great HUP homecookin'. NOT!!! At any rate, the chemo affects the blood vessels and kidneys, and they have to keep an eye on Bobs' output, electrolytes, BP etc. And I have great faith in Dr. Maillard who is the attending hem/onc md. on call, to keep on top of things. Not to mention all the superb nurses who are taking such good care of Bob. All of Bobs' counts were a little lower today, but that is to be expected, and we are right on target so far. His ANC was still over 1000, so he was able to do laps w/o a mask. Once that falls below 1000, we will be in full neutropenic mode...no fresh fruit or veggies, no black pepper(may contain bacteria), strict handwashing, no contact w/ anyone who is or may be sick(cough, cold, sniffles), no fresh flowers. Actually a lot of these precautions are already in full swing on this floor as most if not all the pts. may be immuno-compromised. So, we are pleased with Bobs' reaction to the chemo thus far, and hope it continues.

Bob is eagerly awaiting Matts' visit. He may actually be w/ Bob as I write this. He was due to arrive at Philly Intl. at 5:30 this evening, and he will stay until Saturday. I may take a break tomorrow and let father and son enjoy each others' company. I've also had a "maintenance required" light coming on when I start my car, and would like to get that taken care of, as I have seen those poor souls who are standed on the teeny shoulder of the Schuylkil and do not wish to be one of them. So I plan on having that seen to tomorrow.

Think I'll close there. Someone told me there is a delay in the time that I write this, and the time it gets published. That is my fault. First of all, it takes me quite a while to actually type this message out. Secondly, I may start it, be interrupted, and than come back to finish(as I did tonight for dinner, cuz when Mom says dinner is ready, there is no putting her off. Not to mention that Bob is not the only one who likes food, and I am usually starving by the time I get home). So the time that is displayed, is the time that I actually started writing this note, not the time that I published it. Know what I mean, jellybean? I think I made that clear as mud, didn't I?

Anyhoo, as always, love and thanks to all. You are helping us stay afloat, and that means the world to Bob and I.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

3 Comments:

Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hi Dr. Bob and Ms. Mo-

Just checking in to see how things are going. It sounds like things are rolling along and that you are hanging tough with the whole process. Amen to that and amen to the caregivers that are taking such good care of you both.

Glad to hear that Matt has arrived. Mo - get that vehicle tended to! We don't want to see you stranded on that crazy Schuykill.

Please know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers -
K

April 06, 2006 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so grateful for the reports you post and will be happy with them whatever time they appear. The good news is wonderful and I'm sure that having Matt around will really help as well. Mo, listen to your Mother and take care of yourself and your car!

April 06, 2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Bob and Mo,

What a treat to see you yesterday honey and you do look maaavalous.Thanks be to God for the steroids that are holding the nausea and knee pain at bay. I'm also gLAD FOR THE WONDERFUL NURSES and Dr, Maillard to take good care of you.Mostof all it did my heart good to see you sprinting around the halls like a member of the track team. WAY TO GO BOB!
A BIG thank you to Mo for transporting me down to Hup for a blood transfusion. Worked out perfectly and got Joe off the hook.
Well lots of love being thrown your way and Hello to Matthew for me. Love Debbie

April 06, 2006 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home