Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Day 21 Admission Day 16 Chemo

Good afternoon to all,

I'm posting early since I did not go to HUP today. Once again I did some errands, filled the gas tank to the tune of $37, and I still had about 1/3 of a tank left. Sheesh! What is the reason for this big increase now? I am not keeping up w/ current events too well lately. Also spent lunch time with my good friends at work. It was soooo good to see you all. I really miss the camaraderie we share. I stopped at Tri-Valley also where everyone sends their best, and I have Rhanes' drawing and photo, so I'll take them down to Bob tomorrow. Alright, I don't know what is up with the font today. I hit spell check for camaraderie, and the print is now bolder even though I didn't click on bold.
But on to our guy....Bob's feeling well, just very fatigued again today. He's had no fevers, but needed platelets, and the benadryl pre-med also made him sleepy. He was trying to finish a crossword when I talked to him last, and than was going to nap. He hasn't walked today, but was going to shoot for after dinner, provided the fever doesn't return. I won't mention the actual menu, since in truth I don't know what Bob ate, but he says everything is tasteless now(from the looks of his trays, that doesn't seem to be a bad thing). I'll be going down early tomorrow with some Easter pie from Bev( Bob says his Fathers' family made them, but not his Moms') and maybe a bakery treat to go w/ his coffee. Sorry Bill...does the food talk mean we're regressing? All the doc's were in today, and say Bob's right where he should be as far as his counts go. His WBC was actually up to 0.9 today with an ANC of 146, and his hgb was holding at 8.2 I'll talk to Bob again this evening for an update, but he's been amazingly resilient thus far.

I hope I'm not coming across as insincere, but thank you again for all the cards,calls and especially the blogs. I read them too of course, and they are, in turn, funny, witty and oh so touching. Mary Day and Kim....you are cracking me up!!! I know Bob feels the same way. Every time he reads them, it's as though he's surprised that he should be on the receiving end of such generosity and kindness. He can, in many things be so unassuming.(notice I didn't say in everything.Ha!)

Please keep on praying, and sending all your good vibes(I don't think you all have to stand on your patios to do that, but whatever works).

All our love,
Bob and Mo

P.S. I'm sorry for the very tiny printing at the top of the blog. Obviously, I'm not as computer savvy as you gave me credit for.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob & Reen
I'm glad I got to see you Uncle Bob on Eatser, that just made the day evan better. Well I still can't chew my food to well because od my spacers, and i still can'y wait to get my braces on Fri. NOT!!! And by Reen tell my " Well just be glad that you don't have to go through the pain of getting an expander!" Well yes Reen I do have to get one, but thanks for getting me pumped to get it anyway! Well hope to see you soon Uncle Bob. Reen just call if you want to go out we could go out on Fri. lol.
Best Wishes,
Kate

April 18, 2006 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robert, Sure wish i could find that LARGE print button that mo found as i have a difficult time reding just what i write. Mdf and Kimmie you are too funny. Reminds of the old days. Gosh we had fun. You both still have such quick wit.We really do all have to get together when Bob and i can get a reprieve at the same time and MaryDay you have to fly out. Our treat cause you will be the entertainment. Bob everyday you amaze me with your strength and positive attitude. Mo is rite there with him in the good attitude dept. keep it up and ONE DAY AT A TIME and you will be home before you know it. And Robert YOU DA MAN when it comes to bmb's. WOW is all i have to say. I must be a screaming meme (or MIMI)And for those who ask what that is let me just say it's me during a bmb.
Well honey sleep well and stay strong. We love you. Joe and Deb

April 18, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Mo and Bob,

Mo, you crack me up with your posts, I can hear you talking as I am reading them! Glad you were able to spend some time with mom tonight - she needed some girl camaradarie. We are SO GLAD to hear things are holding steady for you Dr. Bob! Way to be strong!
To Kate, sorry you're getting braces on Friday, but before you know it your teeth will be perfectly straight and the braces will be a distant memory...do they still do the metal ones or do they have new age braces these days? And Mo, I have no idea what is going on with gas prices, but I'm glad you mentioned it, because I have not watched the news in weeks either but will try to pay attention next time I pass a pump to see what the prices are here now. Better get to bed before the next feeding! Lots of love to you both!

April 18, 2006 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robert,
You must be exhausted with those counts.
The buzz at the moment concerns our radiology department. As you likely know, they have decided, for various reasons, to leave and consolidate their services at Doylestown. Leaves a void,of course, and the search begins.
Otherwise, status quo here.
Hope you rest and have a decent Wednesday.

April 18, 2006 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Tom and Kate had a baby girl.. Suri.. wonder if she really stayed quiet!!amamzing if she did.. I can still remember some of my lingo during that time.( i think Kim,are MIA friend , still uses it). anyway.. Dr. Mazzola.. it's okay to be tired..must sort of be like a car running out of gas.. soon you'll be filled up again and running full power!!(I use automotive comparables for men).. i do hope your feeling a little stronger on wed.. don't over do the walking...
and Kate,,my oldest son, who already has had braces, got spacers put on again today(he's already lost one) for some experimental apparatus they are going to put on his back teeth to pull them up.. anyway.. i went to the other ortho's office to make an appt. and somehow i set off the main alarm system for the whole building!!!Ha.. all i could do is stand there and say"It's my fault" to all the dr. and nurses,and patients running out of offices and rooms.. kind of a scene.. but when you get to my age.. things just aren't as embarrassing anymore..
Mo, you sound good,, are you?? My best to you dr. mazz.. i'll con't my prayers.. mdf

April 18, 2006 11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning!
It looks like another glorious day. Hoping you had a good night last night.
Mo, thanks for the large font...had to squint those 1st couple sentences!
Couldn't get on this thing last night. MDF,I was ready to pawn it or throw it out the GD window.
Deb, can't wait to get together with you and Bob when you are both up for it. I agree that MDF will have to fly east to join us. She must be a real treat to travel with though (if she can set off the alarm at the orthodontists office)...wouldn't want to go thru airport security anywhere near her!
Mo, loved that message from Kate. Reminded me of reading Aunt Angie's messages on Deb's blog.

Hang in there Bob and rest up for the next round. You too Mo.

Love you guys, Kim

April 19, 2006 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Mo the rise in gas prices is only the beginning of an ugly story. Increased demand from other countries is one theory, but I would just go with greed. I personally enjoy the larger font, even though my eye doc says that I can see, it looks smaller on the computer and is more tiring. Thanks for the translation, glad the numbers are where they are supposed to be. I am being a very good girl in hopes of getting down there soon. Love you both.

April 19, 2006 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
So good to speak with Bob yesterday. He sounded a tad tired but still so positive. Atta boy Robert.
As to the gas prices Mo I will send on to you an e-mail D.J. sent me just this morning...he has a plan. Or at least he found someone who has a plan.
All is well, even Bill is making slow progress with his bronchitis.
I mentioned to Bob yesterday I have a dear dear friend going in for colon surgery tomorrow, so any of you out there who would like to add one more name to the good vibe prayer list her name is Kathy.
Mo keep up your strength, abd Bob continue being the perfect patient.Many prayers being said for good news tomorrow.
Love ya,
Anne

April 19, 2006 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn ,I'm glad I'm not the only one ..something weird happened to me when I was first the other day!!anyway hi Bob sounds like you are still keeping your pecker up and doing what needs to be done.. just talked to Nancy thus, the pecker thing..you know I can't resist..she sends love and best wishes etc.etc.I hope you like the meat pies..sent two different types..personally I like Debbie Sheltons' "bread pudding" (to me it was more like an old English fruit cake..amazing) If it even got to you ,MO might have sideswipped it..enough food talk...everyone loved seing Mo at the sugicenter ..it was like old home week..what fun!!Well, take care ,I here a champagne cork popping in the distance..that's my cue..love and prayers honey ..can't wait for tomorrow!:)Bec

April 19, 2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home