Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Day 16 Admission Day 11 Chemo

Hi everybody,

Well, we've had very busy days, but unfortunately, not together. Bob insisted that I take another "day off" since he is still feeling fine. I wanted to see him, but he gave me some errands to run around town, I think so I wouldn't feel guilty for not going down. So Kate and I spent 3 hrs. running around Lansdale....picking up dry cleaning, picking up cards for Bob at Tri-Valley, Bank, post-office, grocery store, and Blockbuster. Also snuck a trip in there to Famous footwear, and Kate and I both got shoes. Oops, forgot about Gertrude Hawk too....have a basket to fill for somebunny special(ooh, that's so corny I'm making myself sick!) Than came home and made lasagna for dinner, and will take some down to the HUPees tomorrow. I'm going to go down w/ JT, and hope to spend the whole afternoon w/ Bob.

Bob had a good day too. Counts are all down a few smidges today. And now, anyone who enters Bobs' room must wear mask, gown and gloves. This is not b/c he has an infection, but rather to prevent Bob passing on a MRSA infection to anyone else. In the past when Bob has had problems with infections the germ or one of them has been meth-resistant staph aureus. This is usually a hospital-acquired infection that is very difficult to treat b/c it is resistant to the traditional antibiotics. Now, while Bob doesn't have this at present, he mentioned his history of it to Dr. Perle, who is concerned that Bob could be a carrier of MRSA, and the last thing any pts. on this floor need is MRSA. So all you guys who venture down will now be referred to as yellow-birds,(garb is all canary-yellow)since visitors are still allowed. Just please call me or Bob before you make the trip. In fact Yvonne and Lee Arano were the very first yellow-birds, as they visited w/ Bob today. And I know they wanted to see Bob anyway, but I really appreciate it too, since I didn't see him myself. Bob really enjoyed your visit guys, and says thanks for the sticky buns. He was planning on a little snack this evening after his walk. He's still doing a mile a day, but says he's feeling a little more tired after each round. His appetite is still intact however, and his taste buds haven't been affected so far either.(or maybe they have Deb, and that's why he can eat the HUP trays.) Anyway, he's still eating. He also got to shower again today, and will be able to as long as he isn't hooked up to IV fluids.

So that's all the news today. We again thank everyone for the cards, gifts, blogs, visits and most especially your prayers. Also have to say that Bob is quite touched by his patients who are blogging. He really feels such a special bond with you all, especially those who have been seeing him since he came to Lansdale.

So ttfn. Keep the prayers and good vibes coming. We appreciate them all.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Mo and Bob,

These blogs really lift my spirits! The thought of my mom in front of the computer, typing her comments for an hour and then posting them over and over makes me smile and laugh! I'm glad you've motivated my mom to get walking, and that you are able to continue walking despite everything. I really think it helps, although I am sure there are days you just don't feel like it. Keep it up and you'll be fishing at the shore again in no time (not you Mo - we'll be at the movies or making desserts of some kind!) So glad you have Kate there to keep you company this week, she's such a doll. Lots of love to you guys!

April 13, 2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,
I just left you and i must say you look good. A smidge pale but strong and very good spirits. I think those sheets are contributing to pleaasent thoughts.Also the endless supply of goodies that you always offer when i enter the room.The pizelles are my personal favorite. So glad Mo will be car pooling with Joe tomorrow as i think it does Joe a world of good to talk to Mo.He has always had a special feeling for her and i know he feels free to talk and get frustrations off his chest.Anyway see you bothin the am. sleep tight and don't let those horses bite. Love and prayers Dt

April 13, 2006 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu know, its sort of comforting, or reassuring in a weird sort of way, to know that you and debbie are there at the same time? How far away is she? I'm thinking that you must have been pretty strong before you entered this , cause you seem to be holding your own so far!!So glad to hear that!! Keep those strange germs away, and keep fighting.. hope you feel good tomorrow also.. and again.. good job Mo on the posting, and im even getting pretty impressed with Debbie.. she doesn't appear to be technology challenged anymore!!ttyl..mdf

April 13, 2006 11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all is going well.
My thought, wishes, and prayers are with you both.
I miss seeing you in the office as a patient.
Anita Lucas

April 14, 2006 9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We return today but my cold will keep me away from HUP for awhile. Yellow is so unflattering but I will risk it as soon as I am well. Glad you are still walking, keep up the good work.

April 14, 2006 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Have to agree with Santa about the yellow gowns, it just doesn';t work with my silver hair! As it is it will definitely be awhile yet before we can visit as Bill continues with his bronchitis. The good news is he finally saw the doctor and now is taking something that just might help him.
Just D.J. here for Easter dinner as Billy will be at Michelle's and poor Katie has to work. However, my sisters and their husbands will be joining us to enjoy the holiday.I know you will be sorry to hear this Bob but no lamb's head this year. Just kidding no lamb's head here any year! A trtaditional ham with many side dishes.
I told Mo about the 90th birthday bash we are throwing mom. I'll let her fill you in as not to bore everyone else.
Tried to call you last night but I think it may have been too late, will try later today.
Love ya both,
Anne

April 14, 2006 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home