Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Day 11 admission Day 6 chemo

Hi all,

Well, I can't believe it. I was just about to sign off on my posting when all of a sudden....POOF! My blooger site was gone and I was on an MSN support and help site. So, please forgive me, but I am not gonna write it all over again. I'm just going to tell you that Bob is still doing fine. No fevers, or GI upsets. His platelet count came up to 41,000 today and the other counts are in a holding pattern. He visited w/ Matt today, who right now, is still in a plane, but somewhere close to Memphis. I'm so glad that Matt was able to come up, Bob loves him so, and they really enjoy each others' company. It did him a world of good.

I'll be going down tomorrow w/ my parents, after 11am mass. I'm going to take some of Bevs' ricotta-polenta cheese pie down, as well as a birthday present from Bobs' cousin Candy, and candy from my niece Kate. Bob also requested the opera Tosca, as he has a CD player and listens to opera, jazz and Irish folk music at night. He also has been able to read, and has finished one novel already. So between the music, books, crosswords and sudokus he has plenty to keep his mind occupied. He hasn't even had the TV hooked up yet.(Never thought he would voluntarily miss the Final Four, but he did). We thank you all for your continued support and prayers. See ya tomorrow night.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss you very much. Hope you are feeling better. My prayers are with you.

Sincerely,

Victoria Rogowski

April 08, 2006 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Mazzola,
I am so grateful for this opportunity to be able to share my feelings with you through this forum and that we can keep updated on your progress. It is difficult to picture you as a patient. I’m sure that I echo the thoughts of many of your patients but probably not that many have been seeing you every 3 months for the last 25+ years. You know I have seen dozens of doctors throughout my life for a wide variety of issues but none have come close to the comfort and security you gave me that we would be able to handle anything that came up. I truly looked forward to our appointments and enjoyed your sense of humor along with your somewhat stern approach when needed. Unlike some doctors who are complete dictators, I always felt that you took time to listen to my opinion and respected it even if we had different viewpoints. I appreciated your trusting my decision to go for the islet cell transplant and I felt you almost seemed proud that a patient of yours had been selected. You and Dr. Filosa felt like surrogate fathers to me while I was pregnant and to say that during that time I saw you more often than my own father is not an overstatement. I will never forget while I was in Pennsylvania Hospital, after I had the baby, that you called to see how I was doing. Our baby, Tim, after his rough start in life has been perfectly healthy. He is now age 18, 6”4’and will be attending Penn State (Berks campus) in the Fall for Engineering. (Now we are both feeling old, aren’t we). Anyway, now that I have written my book, I just wanted you to know how much you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I truly miss you and I am a bit scared that I will never find that safe, secure, and comforting relationship in a doctor ever again. You had a way of calming me down and I need that now more than ever since I am getting old and cranky with all my new little annoyances that I don’t know how to deal with. God bless you and your family and thanks again for everything!
Barb H.

April 09, 2006 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moly Barb H. What a beautiful post. It brought me to tears. Dr. Bob is also my Dr. as well as a dear and old friend. You are accurate in saying that Bob is warm and honest And Stern whaen he needed to be. But I believe it is just that strong and honest soul and constitution that will see him thru this treatment. That and goodies from the outside.
So glad that Matt and you had good time together and you are doing so well. I had had several fevers and a major rash by now so I pray the next week or so will go smoothly. Thinking of you always.Love Deb
P.S. I had a great time with the babies. I feel invigorated!! They are toocute . See you tomorrow Dr. Bob

April 09, 2006 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ricotta polenta cheese pie! That sounds wonderful, get the recipe! The Caymans are a very religious place. A million churches all over. So we got lost looking for One of three Catholic ones but we got there. We had to sit outside under a canope surrounded by hibicus and other flowers and enjoyed a more jazzy version of the music but prayed joyfully for you both. You are so terrific. Love you both.

April 09, 2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad all is proceeding well. I am growing some Athelas in case it's needed.

Excuse my conundrum, but who are all these Bloggers writing about? Can it be the same Robert I've known for 60+ years or so? The same Robert, Bob, Bobby, Admiral, 'Judas Priest', who always ate his liver (ugh!), ratted me out to Catherine and would only race me when I didn't have my PF Flyers on.

Like the proverbial Red wine, you have improved with age. I would not have it any other way. When you get a chance, reach down and pull me up. My cork's loose and I have not aged as well--too much sediment.

Bronchial problems still with me, but we'll talk. Tell MO I can tell her a lot more about her Rennaisance man!

Isatri6

April 09, 2006 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob & Mo-
I'm thrilled to hear you are doing OK so far. Your visit with Matt was just what the "doctor" ordered! Keep doing those laps Bob, and eating that "great" hospital food. Mo, your blog is amazing, great job! All of us at MSC send our love, hang in there. Mo, give us a ring if you need anything at all.
Love, Holly

April 09, 2006 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob & Mo-
I'm thrilled to hear you are doing OK so far. Your visit with Matt was just what the "doctor" ordered! Keep doing those laps Bob, and eating that "great" hospital food. Mo, your blog is amazing, great job! All of us at MSC send our love, hang in there. Mo, give us a ring if you need anything at all.
Love, Holly

April 09, 2006 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Bob,

I was glad to hear that you had a nice time with Matt. It really is what the doctor ordered.
Mo I want to thank you for taking this time every day to keep everyone up to date on Bob. You and Joe are the best in this situation. I keep you all in my prayers everyday.

Love,
Jean

April 09, 2006 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo, It's Palm Sunday. Actually got my son, Mike to go to church with me. Just wanted you & Bob to know that you were in my prayers. Easter is coming and all good things happen when we celebrate & pray during this time. Give Bob my best & tell him he is missed at breakfast as are you. Cathie

April 09, 2006 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home