Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Day 15 Admission Day 10 Chemo

Dear friends and family,

Hooray!!! Bob got his shower today and he felt like a new man, or is that smelt like a new man? At any rate, he felt good. We had another busy visit. My niece Kate went down w/ me today and we visited Deb and her friend Denny in her room, and than Deb came up and we all visited w/ Bob. His hgb was down today to 7.7, so he's really looking peaked, but he received one unit of blood, so hopefully that will perk him up. The platelets were up to 31,000 today, and the wbc are now .750, so we are nearly at the magic number zero. We're anticipating a bone marrow bx on Monday provided things go according to Hoyle. That will be chemo day 14. It'll take a few days to get the results, and than we find out if Bob needs a 2nd round, or if he's in remission. We are not setting our realistic sites on remission, but I can't help hoping for that deep down. Bob is being more pragmatic, as usual, and is counting on the 2nd induction. He still hasn't had any fevers, and the mouth wound continues to improve. Bob spoke w/ his periodontist today, Larry Butler, who is also a good friend that we trust implicitly, and he agreed w/ the whole plan of treatment. So it was nice to get that extra affirmation. Bob had 12 laps in for the day, by the time we left, and he's still not disgusted enough by his trays to turn them away.

Now, today, Bob had a few things he wanted to share...first thanks to Kate and Meg for the hoodie sweatshirts(which will fit fine after a few tumbles in the dryer) the hard candy,and the cowboy sheets. The nurses and aides who came in all exclaimed over how cute! Uncle Bob likes them cuz they are very soft. We'll have to wait and see how his fellow mds weigh in. They probably won't even notice. To KM who wanted to know about Bobs' favorite libation, he says 18 year old Jamesons' Irish whiskey, neat(I should have known that, it's what he always asks for when he's in the hospital). To Sammy C., Uncle Bob says he loves your sense of irony in the play you wrote, and he can't wait to see Bubba Ho-tep. And he's wondering who wrote the unsigned blog re: Fran Dunphy. Now I'm pretty sure I know who that is. Am I right in guessing that it's Bobs' old pal Dora talking about the horsepistol(as Bob always called it) and Temples' new coach?Inquiring minds want to know. Bob also wanted to thank the book and DVD gift givers, Candy, Bill Spellman, Yvonne and Lee, and Sammy.

That's all for Bob, but I wouldn't be true to myself if I let Debbie get away w/ sending her blog 8 times. She is of course cringing while she's reading this and going "I know,I know. I'm so sorry."
Not to worry Deb, I figured out how to delete comments(always wondered why there was a little fire hydrant at the end of each comment....turns out it's a trash can!!! Duh!!!), and there's nary a trace of your boo-boo. But 8 times!!!! I mean 2 0r 3, okay, but 8 times. Ah well, we all know when you do anything you always do it 200%. Love to you, and hope the rash doesn't get too bad tonight.

So that's all from HUP World today. Please keep us in your prayers, and we'll keep you posted.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert,
Fran Dunphy is an Explorer at heart, and always will be. Once an Explorer, etc.
No mystery here, just catching you up on old work stuff.
Your guys are close to moving. I hear patients get a free game if they bring their copay.
Our project continues to rocket toward a finish...should be 2050.But well worth the wait.
JC still yelling that the nurses don't wear white caps anymore, but as funny and cantankerous as ever.
We plan to keep an office open in the present building, a satellite of sorts, for anyone staying. A number have asked, and I think it's a good idea. See how it goes.
Well, go get em. Keep the chin (and pants) up.
Sparafucile

April 12, 2006 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Bob,
Had an appointment with Dr. Heather today and the girls at reception gave me the info for this sight. I hope this works. Just want to let you know you are in our Thoughts & Prayers. I am not very good at writing. I always told them at the
bank that I would rather scrub the bank floor than write a letter. I will write you a corny poem--Roses are Red Violets are Blue..You are the BEST DOCTOR we ever knew. Hope all goes well with your treatments.
Again, we will keep you in our Prayers.
Fondly,
Nancy & Jim Mirabello
:-) :-)

April 12, 2006 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

darlings,

glad to hear that we are holding up so well with round 1. cowboy sheets and a shower surely help bolster the situation! in all of my $% years, i don't think i have known anyone who was hospitalized at hup. now, along with deb and bob, my favorite kev has a friend who is a patient. he is a young guy who was attacked last week on cabrini's campus. i know hup is a sprawling facility, but it somehow keeps getting smaller, closer and more familiar.
okay bob, now here's the guy talk part of our blog....shoot, i talk to men all day but it usually revolves around "oh, no peppers, you don't wanna know what they do to me". that's REAL guy talk..someday i'm going to get a sign to put on the counter that says PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TELLING US ABOUT ANY ILL EFFECTS YOU MAY EXPERIENCE AS A RESULT OF PEPPERS. i know you can relate given you line of work. keep smiling dr. bob. xoxoxo

April 12, 2006 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mo and Bob,

Keep on going. Mo, my thoughts are with remission also. We can always hope. I will pass along a few extra prayers in the next few days.
Bob, Julie Jourdan, Donelle Bussom send their hello's along with Charmaine and Tracy Roberto.

Take care,
Love and prayers,
jean

April 12, 2006 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Dr. Bob,
we think of you often and hope you are doing better. George has an appointment on May 4 an he is upset that you prefer to frolic with nurse Rachel instead of discussing with him the benefits of Amarone-based chemotherapy. He saw Dr. Gottlieb today who is also sending his best regards to you. We are headed down to VA Beach tomorrow to spend the Easter weekend with Lisa and all five grandchildren (Steve will be there too with his two kids). We will raise our glasses to honor you as the best diagnostician on this side of the planet (don't let this go to your head, though).
Take care and try to get back to your patients who miss you a lot. Happy Easter!
Sincerely,
George, Aniko and family (special best wishes from son Steve)

April 12, 2006 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo..I am almost as bad as Debbie ..I just sent a 1000 word composition of great wit and fun out into cyberspace...it only took me 40 minutes to type,needless to say I am now going to bed as I am working at the surgicenter in the a.m. and need some beauty sleep..the basics of the whole thing ...in your new fun mode(cowboysheets etc.)you are a shoo in for a remission ..you know..find the love ,find the joy ,go back to the happy go lucky etc.etc. ZZZZZZZZZ's love you ,will try again tomorrowxxoo:)Bev

April 12, 2006 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Godd Morning Bob and Mo,
Holy cow...cowboy sheets ! Now just look what you started, Bill is going to want them too. Mo you write so well, it is a joy to read your newsletter every day, especially when I read that Bob is doing so well.
As it is Easter week I am certain extra prayers will be sent in hopes of remission.
Bill is doing okay, but as usual is having a tough time getting rid of his cough. So for the time being you will have to do without seeing the judge.
Mom is home , doing well, and wanted me to let you both know that you are numero uno on her prayer line. Believe me this woman has a direct line to heaven.
Will talk to you later...keep up the great work.
Love,
Anne

April 13, 2006 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wednesday morning on Grand Cayman, doesn't seem fair. THey are setting up the prayer tents all over the island. On Friday, everything closes which is amazing on an island that lives for banking and tourism. I am sure the hotel restaurants are open but not much else. Today I drove Sam and some others to meet the dive boat. My ear is not quite right on land so water is out. There was a light rain and then a rainbow--I am collecting good omens and there is another one Bob. In town it was already crazy, they now get more than five cruise ships a day when they used to have two a week. Sorry, Bill and Ann I dont understand spending that much time in line on vacation. THey line up to get on little boats to line up and walk behind some guy they can't possibly hear as they walk into town or pack into little busses and drive past something or better yet shop. Then they all line up to return to the ship. It takes hours in line. I think they missed the rainbow. But Cayman is responding. They are taking the quaint, distinctive spots and making them Disney sites with tee shirt shops and all. The simulations are taking over.Sorry for the rant. Six years have made a big difference in the island and it was not the hurricane. What hasn't changed is the amazing food. At church services it is us and the locals and that is very cool. You are both in our prayers.

April 13, 2006 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Bob,
Hope you rested well last nite. I stayed up late till after my chemo was in at 12:30 doin Sodukos.So much easier now that you showed me a shortcut. I'm also listening to The DaVinci Code on tape to prepare for the movie opening in May. To have my Joe anticipate a movie opening of any kind is just too much for my soul.
I will be up to visit later. I have friends Eileen and Marion coming down and was hoping to go to lunch although my tummy is doing cartwheels at the moment. I walk however will do me good.Thanks to you Bob (and the pt. 2 rms. down from you) i am inspired to walk. I still don't like it much but if you do it i will do it. Alright my frien see you soon L, Deb

P.S. MoMo joe took off tomorrow and said he would be happy to driveyou down at whatever time is convenient for you. Let him know or me and i will tell him. Joe is taking a break today.

April 13, 2006 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 13, 2006 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 13, 2006 10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today was not my fault. This machine is caflooey. Sorry Sorry for the extra paper dt

April 13, 2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo:

We miss you at the surgi-center. I especially miss you & Jeannie's volleying sense of humor, songs & impersonations. I hope you, my friend, are okay during this difficult time. Send my love to Bob. Enclosed please find a big hug for you. Love, Lee-Lee

April 13, 2006 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mo and Dr Mazz......

Sorry,after ALL these years, I just can't bring myself to call you Bob. I've been keeping tabs on both you and Deb thru this blog-site, and when I first blogged Deb, it was easy.....tried several times on here, and well....the village idiot of computer-dom just couldn't make my comments appear.
Anyway....I'm giving it one more try. Please add me onto your every-growing list of wellwishers, and prayer giver's cos my vibes are with you both. Mo, please please call me if you need anything, even if it's just an "ear" to listen.....I'm good at that. And Dr. Mazzola......you just keep that feisty no-nonsense attitude about you that we've all grown to know and love, and you'll come through this juuuuuuust fine.
Hugs to you both

CHARMAINE

April 13, 2006 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home