Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Day 17 Admission Day 12 chemo

Hello everyone,

Well, Bob got his first fever today. At 3;30p before I left his temp was 100.8. He didn't feel too bad, but he had blood and urine cultures and a pcxr(portable chest x-ray) done by 4p. He had looked pale when I first arrived at noon, but looked quite flushed by the afternoon, which was why I took his temp. He felt pretty tired today too, and got an infusion of platelets. His hgb was just 8.0 this am, so I'm sure he'll need blood tomorrow. His wbc is 0.5 and his ANC is zero, so for all intents and purposes he has no defenses now against infections. He just finished a visit w/ Deb who also got blood today and had a teeny temp. She is hoping to be d/c'd tomorrow, but must have a temp under 100.5, so we're saying the no fever prayer for her tonight. As difficult as it is to stay in the hospital for so long a period this first time around, (as Deb knows since her first stay turned out to be 47 days) I'm sure it gets harder and harder w/ each subsequent round of chemo that's needed. So hang in there girl, you can do this.

Bob was just going to have his temp checked again, and if it's okay, he was going to do his laps. He only got in one set so far today, due to the fever and platelet transfusion.He cleaned his lunch plate of fish, rice and veggies, and also ate a piece of lasagna for lunch. I'm not sure what he ate for supper, but he did eat, and he's got a snack of cookies and milk all lined up for this evening.

Today Bob had a nice visit w/ friends and fellow ex-LMG'ers, Charlie and Fred. And early this evening his cousins Rick and Joan stopped in to visit also. And like I said Deb was just up too. I'm glad they are there for each other, and I'm repeating myself, but we are going to miss having her and Joe one floor away. Also want to thank JT for the ride into town which was pretty quick, and for showing me a new route home. It took us over 30 mins just to get to the Lincoln Dr. exit today, so Joe got off there and we made it home in another 40 mins or so.

That's about it for tonight. I'll be going down tomorrow, sometime after my parents leave. My cousins John and Connie have thoughtfully offered to take them home to Scranton, so a big thank you to them. Oh, and Bob says thank you to the mystery gift-giver. He received a Villanova cap today, but there was no info about who sent it. As always thank-you to all you bloggers(Bob had a ball reading today, b/c he had 2 days to catch up on) get-well, Easter, mass card senders, visitors and phone callers. We appreciate all your love and concern, no end, and ask that you continue to remember us in your prayers.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

P.S. Isn't this a nicer font? Larger too? My niece Kate showed me what all the little symbols stand for, on the tool bar above where I write this note. I had no idea!!!! Oh to be 13 again and learn all this in school! Can't wait to be able to use "bullets"!!!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning and Happy Easter Dr. Mazzola. I am the first to blog today - everyone else is probably out shopping for Easter dinner. I am writing to confess that I sent you the VU hat. I had originally planned on knitting you a chemo cap (knitting is a new hobby) but decided against it as they are too girly looking. But thought your head might need some protection from the sun so thus the hat. I didn't expect it to arrive so soon and there was no way to indicate it was a gift from me. I was going to blog with a hint (April 1985). I do know you are a GT grad. I keep current on your hospital stay thru the blogs which I read every morning at my desk - before oatmeal and before coffee (with caffine). Hopefully all the drugs are working and you will be back home in no time. I hope to see you in WAWA with your VU hat! I worked at HUP after I graduated from college (embarassed to say late 60's)in the cardiovascular lab in the White Building.

Happy Easter.

Ann Morgan
TriValley Patient

April 15, 2006 9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo!

Well...it happened again!

I just finished a 1000 word composition and tried to send it off, but it is now somewhere in cyberspace.

This is getting very old. (And, I was first too.)

The gist of the message was that I showed Michelle how to make Easter Pies, yesterday. It was quite an ordeal, but fun. Mackenzie even managed to squish some dough around.

Mysteriously, one of these pies came out of the oven with your initials on it. You'll get it sometime this week.

My grandmother use to mail them to my father during WWII. He was in Italy, at the time, and somehow they managed to find their way to him. Although they had some green mold by the time they got there, it didn't stop him from trimming it off and enjoying the rest.

Well, I am not going for the 1000 words, again. So...I'll just say Happy Easter, God Bless You Both and here's praying for remission.


April 15, 2006 10:09 AM  
Anonymous SantaC said...

We returned safely with a few adventures on the way,it is a family tradition. We flew into Charlotte after DOnata flew out on her return to New York from California. Sam is on his way to New York now to collect her for Easter--a whole day off! Glad to hear you have a Villanova cap, I am sure you will have many occasions to wear that. Here's to no fevers for all and a safe return from HUP.

April 15, 2006 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home