Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Day 23 Admission Day 3 HiDAC

Hi everybody,

I'm posting from Rhoads again as I didn't arrive today until 1p. I had a phone interview to do for Bob w/ a Soc. Sec. rep this am. So I wanted to spend some time with him and will go home around 7p. So far he's tolerating the HiDAC really well, and of course the steroids, as promised are doing their thing. As he told Gerry C. this afternoon...."no knee pain, no back pain, no neck pain". He just finished his dinner of roast beef, mashed pots. green beans and carrots. He has a slice of angel food cake set aside for his evening snack, which at least resembles angel food cake. The last time he ordered that, what arrived looked more like cornbread. Anyhoo, enough about the food.

Bob is managing to walk, but the difference between this round and last is already very obvious. He's slower, and isn't able to talk and walk at the same time due to SOB(shortness of breath), and only does 1-2 laps at a time, but at least he's doing it. His hgb was 7.5 this am, so I'm surprised he walked at all. He did receive one unit of blood and will most likely need platelets tomorrow, as they were down to 22,000 this am. His WBC is 0.3, so that has fallen already. I'm not sure if that's an effect from this chemo or the last. At any rate we are being very careful to prevent any infections. Bobs' mouth wound looks good. He's religious about doing his mouth care, which is a good thing. Oh and he's finally had a few GI side effects...let's just say constipation is no problem right now. His c.diff is negative however, for all you medical people out there.

That's about all the medical news to report today. Bob did have one message for all his compadres at Tri-Valley who are blog-readers......if you want candy you better become blog writers!!!! If you need to be filled in....ask Dr. C. Mo says Good Luck with the move tomorrow.

And I want to send a note to YA, b/c I keep forgetting to tell you this. I'm reading another Elizabeth George(when Bob is not interrupting me every 60 seconds to tell me about every word he's reading in Cooks' Illustrated), and there's a character whose name is Yvonne Livesley! How close is that? I think of you every time I see it.

Time for me to offer up our thanks and appreciation for every bit of support and love that are winging our way. Please keep the prayers and good vibes coming. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something, but I'll P.S. you all later if I think of it.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

darling mazzola's,
sounds as though you guys are hanging tough. i am thinking the infiltrate is history? glad to hear the neck/back/knee pain are taking a vacation as well. bob, i am kinda excited. i know that through the years, we have joked and exchanged pleasantries, i know that i always hear people talk about what a great m.d. you are, rumor has it that you are quite the fisherman...i am always proud to say i know you, but now...you and i share something really exciting....cooks illustrated! it is a good day when i open my mailbox and find it waiting for me. it's more than a magazine, it's a manual. i think another friend that we have in common has a subscription as well. i am thinking bonnie handerhan, the incompetent blogger must read the mag also. where else would she find those yummy recipes for homemade licorice and potato chips?
thinking of your smiling face always and longing for your recovery.xoxoxoxokm

April 20, 2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Mazzola (and, of course, Mo)

Yeah, silver lining. take full advantage of those steroids. what a trooper - just taking everything so matter-of-factly.

My prayers are with you several times a day (and night). Hang tough. It's a long, hard road, but with God's help and all the prayers, you can do it!

With Love, Mussie

P.S. Thanks for the email. Lovely prayer.

April 21, 2006 3:13 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hi Mo and Dr Bob-

Mmmm. Will blog for candy??? Is that like 'Will work for food'? You know when I was last down in Manhattan I saw a panhandler in Times Square with the greatest sign. I'm telling you this guy was a marketing genius. His sign was simple, direct and to the point and it looked like he had done a pretty good business that day. What did his sign say?

"TELL ME OFF FOR $2.00"

Glad to hear that you are hanging tough, you guys. I know how frustrating it can be though, so if it gets to the point where you want to tell someone off let me know and I'll make up a sign and come down. (Heck, I'll do it for free!)

I'm thinking of you both and sending you love and prayers. LOL about you trying to read Elizabeth George (I love her!) while Dr. Bob is giving you the blow by blow on Cooks Illustrated. (also a great mag)

Take care, Dr. Bob. You too, Ms. Mo! All my best - Kris

April 21, 2006 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Hope you are having a good day today Bob, no knee pain sounds terrific BUT I think I'll just keep taking my tylenol!
Mo I'm glad you liked the prayer. I think I said that for over a year when Bill was not feeling well.
Today is mom's birthday, ninety years young. She looks terrfic and actually has been feeling quite well.
Bob I admire your stamina. With all you have going on I do beleive you are still walking more than I am. You keep doing your part and we bloggers will continue storming the heavens.
Luv ya both,
Anne

April 21, 2006 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

90 years young and leading the prayers, that is wonderful Anne. We are all slogging along behind but coming. What ever steps you can tolerate Bob are progress and something to be grateful for. How is the Two Towers coming? That is my favorite. Keep up the good work. Luv ya both

April 21, 2006 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. bob, Just a note to let you know we are thinking of you and praying for you. Tina is a good prayer. I almost had to break in a new Dr. but, you know me, soft spoken and easy going. No new Dr for me. Just returned from Manchester, Vt had a nice trip. Did the new buildings at ORVIS. I had a chance to throw a couple hooks in the battenkil, no fish. BC

April 22, 2006 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mazzola's.. sound's like you are hanging on and giving 'em hell Bob...You are one tough guy ,and I know you are doing everything right and it will pay off,that's for sure.I sure loved seeing Mo at MSC ..she looks great..it was like old home week with us all jabbering about..I pass your new digs every day Bob(the office) sure looks good to me..what's with the candy thing..do you need some ??I'll get some down to you what's best??Gotta go now hugs and love and the most positive vibes always:)Bev

April 22, 2006 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To one STONEHEAD from another: My REAL friends told me how I'm getting bashed on your blog site so I decided to take a crash course in blogging just to stay in the loop. (How am I doing so far?) Next thing you know I'll be "Tex-Mexing" with my cell. (Isn't that a restaurant or something?) Thinking of you every day and I promise I won't send any more sappy cards. Tell Mo we said hi and if she's a good girl, we'll whip up a chicken for the both of you. Love, B.K.H.

April 22, 2006 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home