Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Uneventful visit

Hi all,

Sorry for the lateness of this post....my hubby assured me he was going to blog everyone today after we got home. He must've been playing his game instead, when he was up here earlier....my big kid! So, we met with Dr.Luger today. She told us she expects there is a delay w/ the BMB, b/c the lab is having trouble identifying the different immature cells and are using stains to make the ID, which takes longer.....obviously! She also decided that the BMB that was going to be done today should be done after the 2 week mark of Bobs' taking the new med, so we have to go back on Monday for that. The good news is that she thinks the targettrin is working. Bobs' hgb yesterday was 9.8 and his platelets were 38,000....both of which are very stable. His wbc was only 2.1 w/ ANC 380, and she wasn't very unhappy w/ that. She said Bob can go out, but just to use some common sense....no salad bars, only restaurants that we know and trust, no peak hour movies, etc., and of course no contact w/ anyone we know to be ill. So overall, not a bad visit.

Bob's been feeling pretty good. He didn't go out at all last week b/c of the wbc, but got some deck time before it got too hot. His neck problem is mostly gone, but the knee is still acting up a few times a day. It's so darn unpredictable, and so very painful now when it occurs. I wish there was something to be done, but Bob said only an invasive arthroscopy might help, and that is out of the question right now with his counts. Bob has had a vociferous appetite lately, and told Dr. Luger he suspects it's the targettrin.........she said that was the first time she ever heard that!!!! Also his triglycerides are almost off the charts...they were over 800 yesterday. 2 weeks ago they were under 200, and his cholesterol jumped from 180 to 240. These were all known side effects of the new med, and she didn't seem too terribly concerned. Bob's just got to take a larger dose of lipitor now....I think he's up to over 25 pills a day at this point. I swear I'd lose track of them all if I had to take them.

Well, I'm going to close here, as it's late and it's been a long day. Wanted to say hi to Bonstance, you've been on my mind. Hope you're laying low and taking it easy. Thanks for the cards, and who is Corrie Ten-boom? I feel as though I should know that name...is (he/she) an athlete? AANNDD, how does Kathi Moore know you??? I swear she really is the mayor of Lansdale(sorry Holly). Lastly, I just wanted to ask you all for extra prayers and intentions for our Debbie T who's going for a BMB at HUP tomorrow. Keep your pecker up, honey. I'm keeping positive thoughts in my head and channeling them to OZ.

Okay, that's really it. Love and thanks to everyone. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We're so greatful for all your support.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,
I'm baaaaaaaaack! I did try to check in last night to see how the day went, but only "uneventful visit" came up. I thought to myself, it must have been really uneventful if Mo had nothing else to say about it!!
Now, on to those MIA BMB results...
are you kidding me?? Glad they didn't do another yesterday as I don't see what the flip good that would do if they don't know the previous results??????????????
Good to know you behaved yourselves while we were floating along in the Caribbean. I did think of you while bonding with my family (6 of us in the cabin)...I don't think that much bonding has occurrred since I gave birth to them. I think it was about Wed., when Dan said, "we need a vacation"! Thank God the 20 or so in-laws that were on the ship with us weren't in our room too. Honestly though, we had a great time. I'll save the juicy details until I see you...whenever that is.
MDF, so sorry about Pongo. That must have been heartbreaking. That last day, all the kids talked about was how much they missed Rusty!
Well, actually, Dylan also mentioned how he couldn't wait to be in our own bathroom (ditto). Bob, I know you can appreciate that sentiment after all those weeks at HUP!
I'm feeling Mo-like after all that, so I'll check in later. I've been up since 4:42 when Dylan's friend smacked his head on the side of the bunk and said, "I'm not tired, what should I do now?"
Oh yeah, I was going to go now....

Love you, Kim

June 21, 2006 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Sounds like a rather good visit to me. I am quite certain you both know of a few good restaurnants that you trust and like.
Meanwhile, I am still not feeling up to par and the doctor wants some more tests run. This is really not my cu[p of tea.....I am used to being the caretaker not the patient. So, perhaps you could send a little prayer my way.
In the meantime, keep cool, keep those numbers going strong Bob and when we see you next I think Mo and I will devise an eating contest between you and Bill......anyone want to place any bets ???
Talk to you soon,
Anne

June 21, 2006 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's Kim?

June 21, 2006 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope to goodness that the above comment/question was written by MDF to tease our dear, sweet friend Kim. If it was anyone else I'm taking it as a personal affront, since Kim is one of my dearest NPH nurse friends and we go back a very long way. Kim, I'm sorry about that....unless of course it was Mary Day, than I'd have to say it was pretty funny. I'm so glad you're back, and it sounds like you had a wonderful time. Write to me about it.

Love, Mo

June 21, 2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you two, i am so damned happy to hear from you guys! i can't get those three dollar vociferous words just anywhere you know! congrats on a fine hgb bob. i like the one stop shopping aspect of the mazzola blog, i get to hear about our darling deb as well. mo, i can plunder through all of the medical jargon and the expensive words, i grasp an off the chart cholesterol, but what the heck is corrie tem boom? oh, and by the way you could be the mayor too if you were as old as me and served food...that's the secret. bob isn't the only vocifer in lansdale. mo, i do have to tell you that i think of you daily. the girl who helps me flip burgers could do battle with you in quoting movies. the least little thing i say sparks a movie memory for her. what really amazes me is the repotoire that she draws from. today it was "swim jimmy, swim" - there was more to the line and i can't even remember it from this afternoon! anyway wanna take a stab at it? one day last week i was so proud b/c i actually identified one of her little movie monologues...."get to bed scout" anyway, if you ever wanna try your hand at burgers, come work with katrina - you two have lots in common. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

June 21, 2006 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Mazzola's,

I've been living at work these days. Just enough time to peak at the blogs in the morning, but not much else. Charmaine and I did get to visit with Deb yesterday. It was nice to just sit and chat. I also got to see Jess and meet Miss Emma. What a beautiful smile she has. The little man was napping. Mo, I think of you and Bob every day. Char and I usually have a Deb and Bob moment at least once through the day. Glad to hear about the Hgb and also the fact that Bob is allowed out in the world again. Take care.

Love, jean

June 21, 2006 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mo and Bob, Business first! welcome back kim! sounds like a nice vacation although lots of togetherness. Km you and may day and our kim get the award for the funniest blog. Km i servre people food and am older then you and i couldn't be a crossing guard in lansdale! i think it is the miss philly smile and wit that gets em.
Now to Dr. Bob. the blood counts sound ok. wish that wbc would come up a bit so be careful when you ventureout. So sorry bout the knee. maybe you should get an mri just to see whats going on? hope to see you soonin between our appts and wbc's. love deb

June 21, 2006 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Mazzola, yes, be careful, you never know if some kid with a runny nose is in the area.. working with 5 yo i know this pretty well..
Talked to tim and mark,they are having alot of fun at the cws and did fine in there own games today..
I got a call from the principal at patrick's school.. gee, thought 2 weeks into summer we were in the clear for this year.. anyways, about a video he made using stuff in the classroom,, all okay now..taught him a good lesson, i hope? on to his senior year!!He is hoping to go to marineworld tomorrow to escape the 107 degree heat.. it's only suppose to get up to 97 in vallejo tomorrow!
Does that neutogen? work on you like it does on deb? hey deb.. did you have a bmb today also? if so,hope that went okay as bmb goes! i'll talk to you later.. mdf

June 22, 2006 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay mo, it's "swim, charlie, swim" for a cheeseburger in paradise, name that movie. jeez, i gotta go, a nor'easter is ripping through my little green 1/2 acre.

June 22, 2006 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey guys, i know you haven't had quality deck time this weekend. how about this weather we're having! hope you are both taking advantage of the cozy factor. xoxox

June 25, 2006 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo and Bob, how are you feeling? was the weekend good for you? did the rain im hearing about affect your knee or neck again? hope everything is holding steady.. mdf

June 26, 2006 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home