Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Day 29 Admission Day 9 HiDAC

Hi all,

Geez, it just doesn't seem possible. It's 4 weeks today since Bob checked into the "Hotel Pennsylvannia". Thank God there are no mirrors on the ceiling, but a little pink champagne on ice wouldn't be so bad. Anyway, I digress. Bob is feeling okay today. A little weak since his hgb is down to 7.8, and the attending on now didn't want to give any blood since he thinks Bob is still fluid overloaded(despite getting lasix IV at midnight last night). That is a powerful diuretic and Bob was up all night in the B.R., which is just ridiculous. His BP wasn't even that high at the time. I told him this am(and the attending seconded it) to refuse it if they try that again. It's hard enough to get any sleep in here, and lasix should be given in the am. It's not even the treatment of choice for high BP. Phew...now that I got that off my chest. I've been here since 11am, also visiting our friend Deb, who is back in with neutropenic fevers. They can't find any source of infection, and feel that it's just from her chemo. Poor thing, she has been through the wringer, and still manages to take what they dish out with such good grace.

Bob just finished dinner and is perusing the new TIME mag. whose cover story is about MDs as Pts. I couldn't read it, too close to home, and Bob tried to get his drs. to discuss it, but they weren't touching that subject either. Anyway, just interesting...timing. He's finished the LOTR(books), and is now onto a historical novel. He's also going to watch a DVD of Lord Wimsey tonight...an old BBC series that i dug up on Blockbuster online. He already enjoyed Basil Ratbones as
Sherlock Holmes(thank you Yvonne and Lee), and the Fellowship of the Ring dvd also. This little player is really coming in handy(thanks to Deb and Joe until Matts' arrives).

So everything's holding pretty steady overall. No fevers "yet", to quote Bob and he continues to eat well, as he told Sam today, "in preparation for the time when I can't eat". Hopefully that will be a very short period when it occurs.

Thank you one and all for the cards, calls, visits(Sam the man, we thank you for coming today)and blogs. I repeat, it means so much, more than words can say.Please keep us in your prayers, and keep the good vibes coming.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

P.S. To Peg, if you look back on yesterdays comments, Santa wrote about the town in Ohio where Donata will be.

PPS. To Donata, good luck with that whirlwind schedule....can't believe you're done Mannes already!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kris McLay said...

Can it be??? Can I really be first? Did I beat mdf???? Yowser.

Just hopped over here from yesterday's comments. Wow - this is one interesting blog. Mo - I love your running commentary. You really have a gift. Bob, I am a bloghopper and I don't know you that well, but you are the man in my estimation. Rock on. Let God own you, as Bev would say. I really am praying for you guys.

K

April 26, 2006 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second the notion that Mo has a gift for writing an interesting and personable blog. How did Sam look in yellow? I usually have him avoid it cause it has a bad interaction with olive tone skin. I hear you think I should see a Doc. Have they come up with a cure for the common cold? They really good when you are really sick. I am just spending too much time with first graders. You know Doc Cucinotta always said that the worst thing about the hospital is that they interfere with sleep that you need to recover your strength. Hold that line! Luv ya.

April 27, 2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hey Dr Bob-

Just checking in and seeing what's happening. Hope this day finds you comfortable and in full healing mode. There's lots of vibes coming your way, I hope it doesn't interfere with the transmission on your dvd player - hah-hah.

BTW - If you find yourself out of DVD's and looking for something to watch around 12:30, I can personally recommend the Young and the Restless on CBS.

It's excellent and is considered daytime's highest rated soap. You might want to give it a look sometime, if you are hanging around with nothing to do and no one poking around at you. (The Bold and the Beautiful is on after Y&R - but I wouldn't recommend that one - unless you want something to goof on.)

Keep up the good work, buddies.

K

April 27, 2006 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo

Speedy recovery!!

Tad Nowinski

April 27, 2006 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay.. it's 11;30 your time.. hope everything is okay.. there isn't an update.. even thou i may not comment every night, i do check on your progress...i'll continue to send my prayers in your direction..and keep checking the blog.. and mo.. if you are just "taking a day off" then good for you, and i hope that's what it is.. i'll keep checking.. mdf

April 27, 2006 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm with mdf. Don't often blog, but check in every night. Hope all's well and you're just taking a break, Mo. Extra special prayers coming your way tonite.

Love, Mussie

April 27, 2006 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi... This is Mandi.. I have been reading this but I just wasn't sure what to say ... kidna odd but well... I wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers... I know Matt thinks the world of you and loves and misses his dad very much... maybe someday I will be able to meet you both..

If Dr.Bob has read any of Neil Gamion he might be interested in the bbc mini series Neverwhere... it was actually directed by Mr.Gaimon... I will nudge Matt into seeing if he can find it...

April 28, 2006 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home