Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Day 26 Admission Day 6 HiDAC

Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to let you all know that Bob's doing well. Megan and I just got home after visiting with Bob, and than sharing a delicious chicken dinner and homemade cobbler with our friends, Lee and Yvonne. We also sponged last night off of Joe and Deb...feasted on Joes' famous eggplant parm and FABULOUS spaghetti Bolognese. Thank you all for keeping us well-fed. Don't worry, we have doggy bags for Bob, although he continues to enjoy the desserts the most. He had a good day with lots of company. His cousins Rick and Joan, his patients George and Aniko, and my brother and sis-in-law Tom and Anna, and of course our nieces Meg and Kate. Bob thanks you all for the fly fishing book, Amarone, and pastry. He was enjoying the cookies tonight with his usual spot of milk.

Bob continues to need blood and platelets, but has had no fevers yet, despite having no white cells. His BP was still elevated today and he got another shot of lasix(diuretic) and was started on a med for his pressure. They have cut back on his IV saline so that should help also. He has 2 more infusions of this round of chemo...tonight and tomorrow afternoon...and than we wait. We want his WBC to stay low...that means the chemo is working....but hope for no serious infections while it is down. So that's pretty much where we stand...so far, so good.

A couple comments from himself...Bill,Bob says a true Maiar would not talk in this manner(that's in reference to your comment about Santa liking the Two Towers...hopefully you understand this cuz I don't). And as far as all the food discussions Bob says Dr. Perl told him the one thing you can do that will help you get thru the chemo is....EAT! Yeah!!! Something Bob is terrific at.

To Santa, yes I finished 2 towers and am onto Return of the King.

To Kris, yes the Sudoku is addicting and it's especially difficult when you're given benadryl every 24 hrs.(pre-platelets last 3 mornings in a row).

So much for a quick note...y'all didn't really believe that when you read it, didya?

Thank you one and all for hanging in there with us. Thank you for praying for us and sending your love and good wishes. Please keep praying and blogging and staying in touch. It means so much to both of us, but especially to Bob. I think he's starting to get a little lonesome, poor guy. I would've been pulling my hair out by now, but he's such a trooper. I am so proud of the great attitude he continues to maintain.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

P.S. Bon-Bon, I'm hurt...."your true friends"???? As Claree said to Wheezer in Steel Magnolias...."you know I love ya' more than my luggage". By the way, your blog was great, just on the wrong page, and you can skip the chicken. I want the homemade chips and licorice!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Hi Mo and Bob,

Thanks for the update from the weekend. We're glad to hear Dr. Bob is hanging in there and remains motivated to get in his laps and fight back with sudokus! Some day I will have to try a sudoku and see what all the fuss is about. Isn't it great that they WANT you to eat whatever you can? It does help a lot to keep up that healthy appetite! Mo and Meg, glad you got to spend some time with my folks this weekend - I'm jealous and wish I could be up there sitting around the table with you too. Stay strong and know you're always on our mind.

April 23, 2006 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo and Bob,

I've been thinking of you for some time. Only got the Blog Site last week, and I am not sure I've figured it out yet. I have forwarded it to RLN and SS for their discretion. I am also glad to hear all is going "better." The menu sounds great, but it would be better to eat at home!

Bill C

April 24, 2006 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Bob and Mo,

Glad to hear that he is hanging in there. Give him my best. I need someone back at the office that knows me. Get well soon.

Tom Faraco

April 24, 2006 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Henceforth I will write after I have just finished eating....if not all the food talk makes me eat in between meals !
Bob and Mo I miss seeing you guys. When I hear of all the wonderful visits well I am jealous. However, I would never take the chance of allowing Bill to visit just yet. Bob you better than anyone knows it will take Bill a month to lick this broncitis.
Mom's party went really well. Thank you Mo for the comment yesterday. The Mass was really outstanding just not sure if we were at a "Canonization or a Coronation". She was beside herself and has now relived the day over and over. As for me, I am absolutely glad it went well but euphoric that it is over.
Bill just walked in the door, a bit early for him. As I mentioned before he still is not sleeping that well. Really think the guy is bone tired.
My friend Kathy came out of surgery quite well. She will need chemo after recuperating, but basically it was better news than we first thought.
I can't wait for you to come home Bob. Can you believe I have a Sudoku board game ??? You and I will go head to head.
Love, prayers and great vibes,
Anne

April 24, 2006 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Doc,

Went for my 6 month check-up this morning and saw Dr. Lockner. Nice lady but missed your smiling face. The staff told me of your "adventure" and here I am. So sorry to hear what you are going thru, but sounds like you have lots of love and support. I'm always asking about you and now I can read the updates.
Les and I send our best wishes and will keep you in our prayers. Keep eating all those goodies...they're good for you.
Hope I did this correctly.

Carlyn and Les Hallman

April 24, 2006 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home