Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Day 32 Admission -----Day 12 HiDAC

Hello all,

Well, Joe T. and myself had planned to take the train in together this am, when Joe called and said Debbie was discharged(d/c'd). She has been w/o fevers for 24 hours and her WBC's were up to 7, so despite still being SOB and tired they felt she would be okay at home. I had planned to drive down w/ Joe and take the train home, but than we heard that there was work being done on the R5 and it was neccessary to switch to a bus for part of the ride ,which just sounded too involved, so I had a quick visit w/ Bob today and came home w/ Debbie and Joe. Actually the timing was perfect b/c right when we were leaving Bob was, as he puts it, "getting ready to zone out". He needed platelets today, and the 50 mg. of benadryl was working its' magic. He slept the afternoon away and just told me it was a good day. He also had a great visit in the am w/ Mary T. and Kim B. from Trivalley before I arrived at noon. Kim and Mary brought this huge smiley face balloon which all the staff members kept complimenting, and they caught Bob up on the TVP move and all the latest news. Thanks girls, he really enjoyed your visit.

I thought Bob looked better today. His hgb is stable at 8.8 and his color was so much better than yesterday. He has a temp right now as I write, of 101.6, but they only culture every 24 hours, and he had all that done at 10pm last night. So they'll do all that at 10p tonight, if he still has the fever then. And yay! for our guy...he got 3 laps in today, between the platelets and the fever. He said he tolerated it really well, didn't get too pooped or SOB. He ate a good lunch while I was there, but did admit to doing so b/c it's just in his best interest. He says it's not enjoyable at all as everything is so tasteless. His nurse Kate chimed in w/..."probably not a bad thing"...my same sentiments several days ago. But he's got a tempting treat of 4 different types of mini-cookies to go w/ his milk tonight thanks to Candy and Aunt Millie.

On to comments from himself;
To Ann M.,(and others who have asked that I can't remember now), Bob said he knows the Red Cross has to be involved when you want to donate to somebody specific. I'm (Mo) sorry, I didn't get a chance to check this out on the web.

To Cozz!!!! Bob says "Gumba! Quesce dice? Milli gratzia for blogging." And we both offer our Congratulations and Best Wishes to your son and his wife.(Sorry Elizabeth, for what I'm sure is a desecration in spelling of the Italian language).

To MDF, Bob said "funny you shoud mention" the ferry to San Francisco. He remembers it well, and just read an article about it and Angel Island in the Smithsonian Magazine.He bored me w/ a whole other history lesson about "the Ellis Island of the Pacific", so thanks Mare. And yes, Bob was able to read again this am. Thanks for the suggestion of the audiobooks though, Kris. Something to remember just in case.

To Katie Mazzola, Congratulations on the new play (wish we could see you in it), and Good Luck w/ Vt.


To DJ...sigh...it's tough being a Philly sports fan.

To any of the Mazzolas...how's Billy doing w/ the WWF?

Yikes...can I just say Phew!!! It always takes me longer to type when Bob has comments...I may start omitting punctuation soon.

I'm not going to HUP tomorrow as Bob insists and I have to say, while it pains me not to see him, it does refresh me also. This is all by way of asking...if anyone's hanging around looking for something to do, I'm sure Bob would love a little company.

Okay, I have finally run out of things to say, except my usual request to remember us in your prayers. Thank you one and all for the blogs, calls, cards and gifts. We couldn't get by w/o all your support.

All our love and thanks,
Bob and Mo

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,, i just wrote you on the other blog page..so i have nothing more to say.. just wanted to beat Kris again..ha.. mdf

April 29, 2006 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mo and Bob,
I have been kinda out of the loop. So tonight I'm catching up on everyone's condition. Richard and I just got back from Reno - he had a meeting and I decided to tag along. It was alot of fun. I'm relaxed - until MONDAY. Then the #$%& hits the fan!

Anyway, I caught up on Debbie's progress and then I searched through her blog to find yours. Then I read through Bob's medical history. It sounds all too familiar. I want you to know that Richard and I think of you and Bob everyday. And I hope you both are holding up under all this STUFF. Please know that you can call on us for help - for anything. Stupid stuff, silly stuff, stuff you've been putting off for months, whatever. . .
Take care and I'll be following your progress and with Debbie's.
Thinking of you,
Susan Schneider

April 29, 2006 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. Bob,it was good to see you today. you look wonderful and more impoetantly sound good and strong. soorry about the feever. were they able to give you tylenol within that 24 hr. window?i'm so happy to be home. went to take a nap in my own bed and then a bath in my beloved tub. kept wishing you could be home too. it's really just around the corner now.thinking of you and mo constantly. all our love and prayers deb and joe

April 29, 2006 11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr.Bob and Reen..sorry I haven't blogged in a while..I was looking for someone to cut off my leg..the spasms were killing me...notice the operative word ...was....I finally got clearance to go to Dr. Ed ..the chiropracter...thank you God...after three months I am finally almost spasm free..what a relief!!!Some day I'll describe the positions he had me in..good for a riotous laugh...anyway enough of my complaining(just trying to get your mind off of your troubles:)...except for the fevers it sounds like you are holding your own Bob..I pray that is the case...Hooray that you are getting laps in ..I can only imagine how hard that must be for you...the prayers are still first priority as are the positive vibes...Please stay strong and fiesty...love from this crew xxoo:)Bev

April 30, 2006 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debs..yahoo..by now you are surely home,safe and sound and snug as a bug..thank heaven you finally got some sun..that alone should make your heart soar..I hope your nausea is better ..do they give you any drugs to make it go away,or are you on auto pilot until it abates..I have compazine suppositories if it gets real bad..let me know...I suppose you would rather just stay nauseous!! I saw Dr. Ed again the other day and I am finally doing so much better..thank you God!!and Dr. ED. (he has what I call the hands from hell..in a good way)I screamed my way through 2 hrs of gouging out the spasms but it works ..and I am still almost spasm free..amazing.. well I will ck out the Dr Bob site now,will talk to you soon hugs prayers and love coming your way...oh by the way the screaming jellybean loved her first plane ride...no screaming...people actually thought she was a model baby...so cute..so sweet yada yada yada..I guess I 'll have to take her on a plane so I can see her smile at me...take care honey rest,rest,rest...I know I'm a pest:)Bev

April 30, 2006 9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob,
I hope that your fever has abated and that you got some needed rest. As Jerry is fond of saying, "no rest for the weary"! He is fond of saying many things that I clearly cannot share on this site!!
Anyhow, I just sent Mo a VERY long-winded email describing my match in more pitiful detail. I absolutely had to respond to her razzing me for losing to such a "sorry" opponent.
MDF-I have no idea what she was drinking, but it did work for her.
Bob- I hope your eyes cooperate today so you can read a bit. No more fevers!
Bev- you got me a little confused blogging Deb on Bob's site. I had to check to be sure where the heck I was!
Love, Kim

April 30, 2006 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fever and all and still walking! Well you put me to shame, all I have is a Phila Nasal Drip and a little sore throat but I didn't move a muscle all week, just worked. When I do come, I will have to bring April's GOurmet magazine. It follows Mario and four friends through his favorite region of Italy and it is an eating marathon! Keep up the good work. Luv ya both

April 30, 2006 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bob and Mo,
I just wanted to let you both know that you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I miss you at MSC, Mo and I swear I haven't used your locker. :) Bob, stay strong and positive and take good care of yourself.
Love,
Stacy

April 30, 2006 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Happy to hear that you are feeling a bit better and looking better too. Hope the fever comes down soon.
To answer your questions, Katie is doing great, still hoping to hear this week about Vermont. In the meantime, she continues to work for Bobby Flay and could entice you with all the specialty dishes at his restaurnat. D.J. had a great time Friday nite when thank heavens the Flyers won. Meanwhile the juices are flowing again for his beloved Eagles as the draft was this weekend. Fianlly, Billy is doing really well at WWE. However, I do think it is taking him some time to get used to the long commute. I think he will be looking for an apartment in Stamford in the very near future.
Bill continues to improve and will be returning to work tomorrow I think. Not only is the cough almost gone but he finally is getting some much needed sleep.
So that is the latest wrap up from here. Heading out to Mass now and you both are at the top of my prayer requests. Love ya guys,
Anne

April 30, 2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Bob and Aunt Maureen!
Sorry it took so long to get me on to the blog--my computer is so tempermental sometimes!
I'm so glad Uncle Bob is having a good day so far--I'm sure those cookies will help tonight too...
I've always found that some good cookies make me feel a little better no matter what!
Everything is NYC is good, but crazy as always. Work is like being on a soap opera, always some drama, but so far Mr Flay's little restaurant has paid all my bills so I can't really complain. I just wish I got to eat more of the food...I get so jealous when I am serving!
My call back for Vermont Shakespeare Company went really well...I think I would have heard if I had gotten the role already...but, like my dad always says, as long as I did my best I cant ask for much more. They seemeds really pleased with what I did...and its always nice to get some positive feedback. Usually the auditors barely say anything to you and just leave you wondering. Who knows? Maybe they wanted a blonde--and no matter how good I did, I'll never be that!
The good news is that I am doing a one act at a small theatre company here in the city. Its an absurdist play (and definitely a little weird) but It'll be a good way to meet some new people and, since its in the city, maybe some agencies or casting people will come see it. Anyway, I'm hopeful!

I guess thats all that really new--the new aprtment is wonderful. We are actually in the process of getting a kitten too...We bought a plant a few weeks ago and have managed not to kill it so we think we are ready to move on to a real pet...at least thats what we think!!
I leave for L.A. on Friday to visit some friends, and am already petrified of the flight. some Tylenol PM should knock me out for the trip though ...at least that what Im planning on!

Anyway, I miss you both and think of you evrey day! I'm so glad we can keep in touch this way--

Hope to see you both really soon!

Love you,
Katie

April 30, 2006 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home