Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

D Day - 1

So, day zero is almost here. This week has flown by, although not to Bob. But he's ready for tomorrow and still feeling good. His wbc's were 1.5 today, and he still didn't need blood or platelets. The immunosuppressant drug cyclosporin continues(IV drip), and of course all the other meds I mentioned yesterday. Bob was in good spirits today, and seemed quite calm, considering....I would be a basket case if it was me. But he's been so positive all along about this procedure, and I know first hand what a difference that can make in the outcome. Back in my ICU days, it always seemed like the pts. who were the most anxious or scared always did the worst. But I have a feeling tonight is gonna be a tough one for my honey. He is also very bored.....he actually called me tonight and we talked for 30 mins or so.....I think that's a phone record for us. He even sent me an e-mail of the comment he made on the blog! So if anyone wants to e-mail him, feel free(mobobmaz@msn.com). Bob also told me to blog his room phone(215-615-8119), as he wouldn't mind a little conversation. But I'm going to ask that noone call until Saturday/Sunday, when we see how he's feeling after the procedure.





Oh, Physical Therapy came in today and brought a stationary bike......now that was something to see. It's been at least 10 years since I've seen Bob on a bike. But he only rode it for 1min,7 secs. and it broke. See, they've got lots of great things and ideas here at Penn, just none of them work. Just kidding! Really, it's just the pedal that needs to be fixed. I hope it's repaired by Sunday. They want Bob to get up and OOB(out of bed) every day, "no matter how many symptoms you have and are feeling like garbage", b/c it's so easy to get deconditioned. And when you are feeling like crap and confined to the same room for over 1 month, you really need to push yourself to get on a bike or do your leg/arm/neck exercises. So he may need some encouragement w/ that later on, but he's been doing his exercises all this week so far.





And now I'm starting to feel incoherent and like I'm rambling, so I must be tired. A few PS's......Anne, I got your message. Bob enjoyed your chat. I will call you tomorrow.....Kathi M, I didn't understand the comment about Debbie and the prez and more responsibility. I mustn't have been in on that one.....Kris, the homeless friend Deb refers to is the one that used to visit her in the middle of the night at HUP. And the last thing I wanted to tell you(in more ways than one) is that our dearest friend Debbie has learned that she is no longer in remission. She has decided to do a clinical trial at HUP which will begin next week and will consist of chemotherapy as an outpatient. I have to tell you all that despite what Debbie is going thru, she never fails to ask Bob and I what she can do for us, in fact she and her son Mike took Bob a microwave on Tuesday before she had her appt w/ her MD.. She is truly the most extraordinary person I know. She will spend this weekend at the shore w/ her family, and we wish you a wonderful time Deb. Enjoy all your babies, big and little, and have a slice of M&M for me, or some of Angelos' pasta.



Well, that about wraps it up. I know you've been keeping Bob and I in your prayers, and we thank you. If ever there was a time for prayer in our lives, this is it. We pray for all of our friends and family too, that God blesses and keeps you. I will be back tomorrow to let you know how Bob does.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Bob,
Debie here sending you good wishes. Once those new 31yr. old stem cells start circulating you are going to be a new Bob. Maybe after a few days you will be racing on that bike. Mo and I want to know will new DNA fix your knees? We love you and are praying like crazy. Love Debie

May 25, 2007 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home