Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

A Quick Note

Hi all,

Well, yesterday is starting to catch up w/ me so I'm going to be brief. Bobs doing well, but he didn't receive the first round of chemo(fludarabine) until nearly 4p....that's 16 hours behind schedule since we were told it would be done at midnight.......aaah....HUP world! We were also told today that the massive room cleaning is to take place on Monday, after which he begins his strict isolation.......we were told that wouldn't occur til 1-2 days before the transplant, i.e. Wed/Thurs. I wish they knew how patients and their families believe everything that's told to them.....so many inconsistencies....it's enough to make you lose confidence that all your caregivers aren't on the same page. I didn't make any noise about this to Bob though b/c he seemed more relaxed today. He was watching........what else....ESPN today. And he was watching the Preakness when I called to say I got home. We searched thru all the channels looking for the Food Network which Deb swears she watched at HUP, but they don't have it now. Actually, we were like 2 morons going thru all the channels, and I would write down on his blackboard what each channel was.........which was taking forever b/c every single station we flipped to had commercials and we kept having to wait for the shows to come on to figure out what the channels were. This may not sound funny to you all, but I am snorting here when I think of how idiotic we must've looked.I finally asked the nurse if they had a list somewhere and she didn't know, and than it finally came to me to check the TV, and sure enough there was a menu of channels.(So much for higher education.....duh).
We tried to get on the blog today, but you have to go thru Penns' network called UPHS-Guest, and when we tried to sign in we kept getting a message that it wasn't a secure site and were advised not to go there. The nurses think it's okay as long as we weren't going to shop online and use a credit card, (I said I'm the one w/ that problem, not Bob)but there is a HUP computer geek guy who will be in Monday and he can set Bob up and answer any questions . So that's why he hasn't blogged yet.

Oh, I ate a cheesesteak at "Johns Cart" and it was very tasty. And Bob continues his infamous ingestion of HUP delicacies........tuna salad, chicken parm, lasagna and cold cereal. He was not happy however w/ the dry, tasteless pineapple upside down cake as it was one of his Dads' favorites and his Mother could make a mean one. Of course this is also the man who, when he was a young boy of 6 or 7 would walk in the door from school and tell his Mother he could tell/smell that she burned the chocolate pudding.......what an epicurean...what a brat! But he's my big brat now, and we both say good night and thank you. Talk to you soon.

All our love,
Mo and Bob

For the ever inquiring minds..the view is of a large quad of the campus......those beautiful brick buldings(sorry I'm not an architecture expert) with lots of tall leafy green trees and miniature students running to and fro on the sidewalks....very pretty indeed.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear me! I just posted a HUGE reply here (about pineapple upside down cake - Dr. Bob and mdf)and it vanished into the ether. Now, I'm running out the door to go visit some pals- I'll be back Mo and Dr. B. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you guys even if blogger sux...

Hope you are having a good day and I am still seeing the chemo coursing through the Dr. Bob's bod doing it's thing.

It's TCB -taking care of business, as Elvis would say.

More l8r - Kris

mdf - You laugh. I am a total chowhound. It's sad but true, and every time I used to go down to HUP with Chizzie the most delicious smells would be wafting across the street from those vendors...haven't tried any of them yet tho.

May 20, 2007 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob and Mo,
You both have the patience of Jobe. I do not think I would be able to handle the inconsistencies that you have been dealing with. More power to you. Bob I am sending prayers your way. I will be making my call to Texas to my friend with 14 children and one grandchild with another grandbaby on the way. They will all be praying for you. Life around here is all work. Need some downtime soon. Well take care and I will check in later. love, jean

May 20, 2007 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mo and Bob,
OOOOHHHH I'm sorry things are all cafluuyy down there. Thank God the nursing care is good. Keep eating Bob, you make those trays soung good and I know better. I used to make a good upside down pineapple cake. Will you be able to have outside food till the transplant? I know it becomes strict after that. Well Mike and plan to visit tomorrow(Tues) before my appt. We will bring the microwave down. I will call Mo to make sure its ok. Well big guy three days down and that means 3 days closer to home. We are praying like crazy and i think of you 50 times a day. We love you both. See you tomorrow. Love Joe and Deb

May 21, 2007 8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home