Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

A QUICK UPDATE

Hi,

Just wanted to say hello and give you all the latest, though there's not much to tell, which is a good thing. Bob started his out patient chemo on Monday. It consists of a series of 7 injections(actually 14, since they have to give 2 injections each day as it is a large quantity of serum to inject into the fatty tissue)and they have used Bobs arms, one leg and his abdomen so far. The sites are a little sore and we're told may get knotty and sorer. He hasn't had any nausea or vomiting which of course are always possible side effects, but his appetite isn't quite what it used to be. The biggest complication that will probably occur will be a lowering of his counts, most likely in the next 2 weeks. We're pretty sure Bob will need platelet and packed cell transfusions then. His platelets are only 20,000 to begin w/(normal is closer to 150,000), but his hgb is pretty stable at 11.4 Of course when the white count drops he will be under house arrest, although except for traveling to Dr. Zipins' office in Chalfont(20 mins away) for the drug every morning, Bob hasn't really been out since last Friday. He has been plagued(in Biblical proportions) by a terrible head cold. His poor nose is raw and red, and he's unable to take decongestants as they really cause a lot of side effects in him, especially since he's anemic. But he hasn't had a fever, and the congestion hasn't traveled anywhere else,(as I knock on this wooden desk), so I'm grateful for that. So based on all the ah choos, followed closely by a string of expletives, I can tell you Bob has not been his most chipper, cheery self. I think the nose has been less active today though, so hopefully he has turned the corner on this bug. So that is pretty much it. It will just be a waiting game once the injections are done. We'll keep an eye on his counts(still done 2x a week) and another bone marrow biopsy will be repeated sometime in Jan/Feb. If the leukemia is back down to 20% or less than, the stem cell transplant can take place. So that is what we are praying for.

Although Bob hasn't felt up to posting on here, he does appreciate your blogs, and sends his thanks for your continued prayers and support. He says if there are any patients of his out there, he'd love to hear from you. I have a feeling a lot of you read this, but may feel strange about writing. Bob loves his patients so much. I swear every time we've been out to breakfast or at the bank or post office he runs into somebody. Just yesterday in Dr. Z's office he was chatting away w/ a patient he ran into about "the good ol days". So drop him a line.

As usual, I want to thank everybody for the constant love and support we are so privileged to receive. Please continue remembering us in your prayers. I also wanted to shout out a big thank you to that sneaky Joe and Stella K. who paid for our breakfast at the Koffee Korner. As Bob said to the waitress...you just can't trust anyone over eighty. Gotta go make dinner...I'll be back when there's more news.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey guys, glad to hear that all is in order. mo i agree with you that some pt.s are a wee bit blog shy and i'm here to say a blog a day will keep.....ah, my cleverness only goes so far with these things. please feel free to fill in the blanks. i can sure see big joe k. picking up the breakfast tab, bob's right can't trust 'em. thanks for the update mo, give bob a kiss. xo km

December 07, 2006 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and i forgot to tell you that last saturday, i was filling orders at the grill [yippee] and on one of the slips, the name was 'santa'... i thought for sure it was your 'santa' but when i went back it was actually the real 'santa' and proud of it!

December 07, 2006 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. M,
You asked for it. First pt blogger and yes I feel a little funny blogging. Just came in from getting the mail and there are snow flurries! Happy to read a new posting from Mrs M. Hope things continue to progress in the right direction for you and you are able to get your transplant before too long. I have an appt. with Dr. C. end of Dec and must admit I wish it was you but I will force myself to make the appt and not cancel. I did get my flu shot and saw the new offices - very nice. I am going tomorrow to get two severly atypical lesions removed by a derm oncologist. That's the only medical news I will post. Then off to my grandaughters 7th birthday party. Have been knitting alot, actually made a sweater - almost finished. Hope to see both of you at Tigers and I will buy breakfast. Continue blogging, I check this site daily. Make sure you tune into Villanova basketball this season.
You are in my prayers. Ann M.

December 07, 2006 9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, i think you both are in danger of never buying breakfast ever again!

December 07, 2006 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Mazzola, Hello from one of your patients. I just got back from Disney World, which you know I like. I hadn't been there for a while. It was the first trip to Florida with my new dog.I think of you often and I am praying for you. Sorry to hear about the head cold. Those make people feel as rotten as a major illness. I hope you feel better very soon.-Linda V.

December 09, 2006 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Napping Party Go-er,

Hope you are having an okay weekend and keeping warm and toasty. Perhaps you even have the aroma of lemon squares wafting above you....xoxo

December 09, 2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I hope he can shake that nose cold asap! I hope all goes as well as possible for the next few weeks so you can enjoy the holidays as much as you can =)
Our thoughts are always with you both.
Love from all,
Sarah and the Booth Family

December 09, 2006 10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Mazzola, I read the blog as often as possible. I think of you a lot! You are always in my thoughts and prayers. My Mom has been going to Dr. Truscott. She's having trouble with her back--arthritis I think. But for 84 she's doing pretty good. You know her -no medicine for me! I have an appt. with Dr. Lockner in Feb. This was very difficult for me. YOU are my dr.! Love you, Donna Dawson

December 14, 2006 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home