Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Hello dear friends and family,

Well, I've started to write this post several times, but just couldn't find the gumption to finish. Last Tuesday we received the unfortunate news that Bob is no longer in remission. Dr. Luger herself called(never a good sign) and told Bob that there are 30-40% blasts(leukemic cells) in his marrow. This means that the stem cell transplant is on hold, as there must be no more than 20% blasts, and Dr. Luger said she would prefer it to be less than 10%. Needless to say this info threw us for a loop...I think me even more so than Bob. I really was shocked when he told me, b/c he looks so well, and we had been given a date for the transplant(was supposed to be admitted on 12/5), and were really geared up for it. But as our best bud Deb says, having this disease is like living on an (expletive deleted) roller coaster. So, Bob will begin out patient chemotherapy on 12/4. All we know right now is that it will be 5 consecutive days of 1 injection. The only good part about all this is that it will be done locally w/ Bobs' oncologist, Dr. Zipin in Chalfont. We meet w/ him 11/30 to get all the details and find out what we can expect to happen, and I will update you after that.

Right now we are looking forward to a nice holiday. We will be feasting at Bobs' sister Santas' on Thursday, and than Matt will be up w/ his girlfriend Mandi and our granddaughter Rhane for the weekend. We are so excited about that. I think we will put them all to work and have a tree-trimming party, combining Christmas and Thanksgiving. I have a feeling that Bob is going to be feeling punk right around the 25th, so we'll celebrate a little early.

As I said Bob has been feeling pretty well. We were out on Saturday to a surprise party for his partner, Jerry Sag, and it was so good to see so many "old" friends and co-workers. This morning after my tennis, we went to breakfast and did a little birthday and Christmas shopping in Skippack. I'll wait til after the holidays to tell you about my gift(ha-ha), but for now, suffice it to say that my husband has great taste.

I did want to follow up and again thank everyone who contributed to Megs Light the Night walk. She raised $1200.00 and we're so proud of her and grateful too. Also, just to let you know, my Dad is doing a bit better...getting around w/ a cane, but still unable to drive. That is something that realistically I think might not happen again, but at 88 yrs of age, he is still remarkable. My Mom had cataract surgery on both her eyes( so glad we got that in before Bob starts his treatments), and they were quite a success.

So we are hanging in there, and as always, are so grateful for all of you. Whenever I'm talking to anyone about Bobs' situation and our life in general right now, I always say...thank God we have wonderful friends and family. On Thursday we will say a special thank-you for all the blessings we've been given. I pray you are all well and have a wonderful holiday with your families.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

P.S. Thanks to for the continued prayers, blogs and cards. I promise to be better w/ the posting in the future.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob and Mo,

It's been so long since I've typed this will take forever so excuse any mistakes. Your latest post brought tears to my eyes. Mo you write so well and express yourself beautifully. You know we are dissappointed for you guys but Bob looks so good and seems so strong that maybe this latest chemo will do the trick and kick him back into remission so you can go ahead with the transplant. I'm so excited that Matt and Rhane are coming and you will get to meet his girlfriend. I knoe Bob must be so excited. Nothing like having family around to brighten your spirits. I can hardly wait to see Jess, Walid and the kids. I'm going to smother them all with kisses. Well have a grea holiday at Santa's with the family. Fabulous food for sure. As we say our Thanksgiving prayers you will be included. We both have alot to be thankful for this year!! We love you guys. Joe and Deb

November 21, 2006 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Mazzola and Mo... sorry about the latest set back,, but thank goodness you feel this good with that many blasts.. think how great you;ll feel with even less of them!! Hope you enjoy thanksgiving, then kick back,undo the top button of your pants, and watch football..
Mo,, could your christmas present be another insect?mdf

November 22, 2006 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Dr. Mazzola, Hang in there! Many people are praying for the next chemo to work out well for you. Linda V.

November 22, 2006 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi to you both...I've been checking this site for "the news" and finally..it brought tears to my eyes too. Even though I saw you and we had fun and laughs...I guess seeing it all in black and white makes it hit home....I know you will take the bull by the horns and fling it far and wide Bob..you have such a good grip on all of this (it makes a tremendous difference)This next chemo will surely "do the trick" and put you right back into remission..in the meantime have a great "T"-day, and Mo have fun decorating that Christmas tree(Bob have fun putting your One ornament on!!:) prayers ,hugs,andlove:)Bev

November 22, 2006 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob & Mo I always get a high when I read your letters to all your friends. The set backs can send some of us to the pits, but here you are giving us the hope and like youall the fight goes on.Keep it up because your spirit is what we all need thank you joe & stella

November 24, 2006 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob and Mo,
Keep the faith that this will just be a small setback before your transplant. We think of you both often and send our prayers.
Love, Bob and Lorraine

November 26, 2006 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are always thinking of you both, and now we're working on sending our best thoughts your way!
Glad to know you're starting the chemo feeling good and strong.
Thanks for posting the news for everyone.
All our love,
Sarah and the Booths =)

December 01, 2006 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mo.. is today your birthday or tomorrow? either way, i hope you two had a good day with it! I spend yesterday shopping in san francisco. had alot of fun, and the weather cooperated.It must have been in the high 60"s and sunny! had my obligatory hot fudge sundae from ghiradelli's.. they have painted a part of the light posts in north beach orange green and white now! Dr. Mazzola, i hope your body is getting into remission! i'll talk to you later.. love, mdf

December 03, 2006 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home