Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Just catching up

Hi everyone,

Thought Id catch you all up, though there's really not too much to report. We've been busy, mostly w/ routine errands and chores. Bob has started his physical therapy for his neck. He's had one visit so far, but felt like the therapist already gave him some increased movement in his neck. He has exercises to do at home also, and of course in keeping w/ being the model pt.,(you may read some sarcasm in there if you like) he has been faithfully complying. He's scheduled for 3 more sessions so far. I too have finally gotten myself into gear and go next Tuesday for my first appt. for my shoulder. So we will be having couples PT, just like Jessie blogged about last week. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to involve massages. But if it makes us more mobile that will be something.

Bob's also been busy setting up his new laptop. He got a beautiful new Dell laptop and is in the process of getting it all set up w/ his games, programs etc., so it will be fully loaded and ready to go to HUP w/ him for the next hospitalization. There's a broadband card that makes it wireless, so he will also have internet access and will be able to do e-mail and IM. So that will surely help as it promises to be another long stay.

No word on when that will be yet. We are going to see Dr. L tomorrow and hope to have more info to share after that. We are still waiting to hear on the sibs' HLA testing which takes weeks apparently. So we will let you know whenever we hear something.

As I wrote the last time, we are getting out more and trying to catch up w/ friends. So I want to thank Dawn and Charlie for the lovely dinner and wonderful company Sat. at the Mainland(just can't beat their sauces or creme brulee). Also to Lee and Yvonne for the swim(not Bob) and fun time at games night. Playing Mex. train by kerosene lamplight added a whole new dimension to the game. If you live in N. Wales you'll understand as you were probably w/o power also.
Another thank you to Jesse and Joan for the sweetest Silver Queen ever. It was delicious and we ate it all up. We appreciate your thinking of us, not to mention dropping it off.

Nice to hear from Kim again(truly, and I'm sorry you were under the weather on your vacation). I always worry that you're plagued w/ your migraines when we don't hear from you. Hi to Joyce and Jerry, and thanks for the post card and words about the old homestead.

It's nice to hear from everybody...Kris, how's the house- building going in NM?...KM, that was us who beeped the other day when you were in the Mill parking lot. And don't listen to your kids...your writing style is perfect just the way it is...SJS, you just make me laugh out loud. Love that biting wit of yours...to all Bobs patients who write and let us know you're thinking of him, he sends a big Hi and thank you...and last, but certainly not least, a very big HI to our gal Deb, who was admitted to Penn yesterday for her stem-cell transplant. Hang in there Deb, we're always thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers as your journey continues. We'll see you tomorrow.

Well I'd better get up and down to the laundry. Thanks again to everyone for all the cards, blogs, calls and well-wishes we are so privileged to receive each day. As always, I ask that you continue to keep us in your prayers, as well as Debbie who is, as usual blazing the trail for Bob. Hope you all are staying cool and enjoy the rest of the Summer.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,

I found the reference to your blog at the office, so I'm sending my wishes and thoughts to you. It's not easy, but I know you are a fighter.

Haven't been working much this summer. Had planned to be in Chapel Hill, NC, when our 2nd grandchild was born, and we were there for a week after his birth--a boy, Andrew, born May 19, and to help with Timmy, age 4. Then, my son-in-law decided to take the summer off and stay with Andrew, so we were able to trade HOT Chapel Hill for HOT Philly!!

David is working on a bird flu vaccine, and I've worked 8 hrs. in the office this summer.

Good luck to you and Maureen.

Betty West

August 03, 2006 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI there you guys..it was great talking to you today Bob AND Reen..I nearly fell over when I actually got you live ,,Bob you really sound good ..very strong and very positive..I love It!!!I still say my prayers for you many times in a day..Mostly when I'm driving and sleepless at nite(thinking..which heaven knows I really try not to do)..Went to Dan Skubick...very interasting approach to intractable pain of my type. I really think he helped me for the moment(I will tell you how long it all lasts...being out of pain that is)Anyway, look forward to seeing you soon..Be good love and lots of prayersxxoo:)Bev

August 03, 2006 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another note to take care and good luck tomorrow down in the city..praying for good newsand kisses to Debs if you're allowedxxoo love:)Bev

August 03, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob,
Sorry I have not been in touch but i have been following the saga. You seem to be feeling fairly well and i am thankful for that. It can be hard too know what to say with all youu are going thru....my chats with you over the years have always included a good bit of kibbutzing (not sure if i spelled it right...me of all people), but is hard to do that on here. i personally have missed having you around at the hospital and now i dont even get to chat about your patients with you on the phone. Keep in mind that even though i havent spoken to you, you have been on my mind and in my prayers. Both Deb and I think of you and have been maintaining positive thoughts. i am sure it is our positive thoughts that have kept your kidneys out of the mix here so to speak...haha...she is watching out for the left and i the right.
I hope the counts remain good and the bone marrows stay in remission. It goes without saying that if there is anything i can do for you, let me know..I will continue to follow along with your blogging and i can always be reached via email...rafdoc17@comcast.net
take care,
Rich & Deb Friedman

August 16, 2006 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home