Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Sunday, December 17, 2006

8 Days til' Christmas

Dear family and friends,

Again, I say I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted. We've been quite busy, as I'm sure you all are too. I can't believe it's one week until Christmas Eve. We are wrapped, decorated(about half the usual trappings are out), shopped and the cards are in the mail. The only thing that's not done is the baking, which I hope to do this week.

On to Bob. He is doing "OK". The chemo ended on Tuesday, and he continues on house arrest. His white count as of Thursday was down to 2.4, and his platelets were 7,000. Remember, normal is at least over 100,000. So on Friday Bob got platelets at CMMC(our local hospital). That was an all-day affair, b/c he has to be typed and cross-matched(T&C'd)at the hospital first, and than it was another 3 1/2 hours til they were ready and could be given. So that meant 2 trips back and forth, but I did manage to get our cards done while Bob received the transfusion. This weekend Bob seems to be having a lot more joint pain, which makes me suspect the white count is dropping further. He's very fatigued and doesn't sleep well at night d/t the aches and pains. He's limited as to what he can take for relief since advil, motrin etc. are off-limits. Basically he has to take codeine which actually gets him wired as opposed to sleepy. So that's been a difficulty. He is having nausea, usually after he eats, but so far has managed to retain everything, although he really only has one good meal a day as his appetite just isn't up to par. And I have to knock wood again, but I think he has finally gotten rid of his rotten cold.
So Bob naps throughout the day. He still plays a little bit on the computer(World of Warcraft is still his favorite game, if anyone is familiar w/ that...he was so excited to show me a commercial for it the other day...I guess it's pretty popular. I know one of the attractions is, he can play w/ Matt, Mandi and Rhane online), and is currently engrossed in a book about the battle of Leyte Gulf, called Sea of Thunder.

Speaking of Matt, I didn't tell you last time what a nice visit we had at Thanksgiving w/ him Mandi and Rhane. I did get the tree up(actually Joey Teklits got the tree up for me-thank you Joe)and the plan was to have us all trim it together. Well, Rhane attempted it, but she and I had more fun playing w/ the Barbie ornaments than actually putting them on the tree. But it was wonderful to meet Mandi, and it was so good for Bob to have Matt and Rhane here. I made lasagna and we had a nice meal together Friday evening, not to mention a delicious Amarone. It was all too short, but very sweet.

So obviously our Christmas is going to be very quiet this year. Christmas Eve is usually spent at Bobs' Aunt Millies' where we feast(and I do mean feast) on just about every seafood known to man, but our favorite is her calamari w/ spaghetti in tomato sauce. It's so tender and delicious...like nothing you would get in a restaurant. Bob has already put in his request for a care package, and if he's doing okay, I will go myself to visit and bring his favorites home...he's also requesting her spare ribs and frittata. Aaah, am I making you all hungry? It's been far too long since there's been food talk on this blog.
We are also going to sorely miss my parents this year. They always spend a week or 2 w/ us over the holiday, but with Bobs' immune system compromised we just can't take the chance of having them here, and my brothers steps are still too much for my Father to take on. So they will be in Scranton, and Tom will got to visit up there. I hope to get up when Bob is feeling better and things are stable. I really miss baking w/ my Mom, something we've done together since I was little. She's the reason I am the cookie maker that I am today. So we'll bake in a few months time, I hope.

Well, I think I've gone on long enough. Believe it or not, I've been working on this for one hour now...I really am incredibly slow at typing. I hope you are all enjoying this Blessed season, and not too harried over getting "things" done. I've learned a little bit about what truly matters over the last couple years, and I have to say that I wish I learned it sooner. I didn't enjoy what I was doing at the time b/c I always felt so stressed. I guess these are the things we pick up as we get older.

So this has been one incredible year. We thank you all for the love and support you have showered us with. I know for certain we could not have done it w/o you. We keep you all in our prayers, as I know you do for us.

This Christmas we wish you peace, joy and loved ones to share it with.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Mo and bob.. that was a great blog mo.. it s okay that it took awhile..sounds like you've been so busy.. glad the chemo is over for bob.. hope the next few weeks are okay for him. i've also learned alot this year about all of this from you and know that sometimes the week or so is worse..
we have one week until our break.. it really is too long for kids .. the kindergardeners are having a hard time just sitting, let alone learning anything.. same with me.. cool mornings just aren't compatible with getting up...
our puppy continues to chew.. i told you our christmas tree ended up in the kitchen when we came home from work, didn't i ? He is over 80 lbs and only about 8 months old..so, needless to say.. we have almost no decorations up in the house, the outside is well decorated though,, tim loves this time of year.
well, i continue my prayers for you mazz..hope you get some of that delicious food mo mentioned.. i would start with the ribs..
take care.. and thanks mo, for the update.. .mdf

December 17, 2006 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're keeping busy with the holidays and trips to the hospital! When I read this blog I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw WORLD OF WARCRAFT! Kenny (my husband) is OBSESSED with that game!!! I wonder if Kenny and Dr. Bob are friends on the game ;) I hope everything continues to go well through the holidays. . . you guys deserve it!
Love,
Sarah and the Booth Family

December 17, 2006 11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mazzola's, this blog brought me back to my days in conshy and reminded me that i really want to be italian. my mom worked and i was lovingly cared for by the best italian family. every morning we started out with church, and many mornings we took in a good funeral mass. there were 3 generations living in the cleanest house you ever stepped foot in....it was the eighth wonder of the world! the senior member of the family was the 90something grandma, who always was cold and wore a handmade night cap. she spoke only italian and always had rosaries on her lap. she loved watching 'queen for a day' and insisted on waving b/c she believed that those on t.v. could see her as well. anyway, the smells of delicious food still linger in my soul, they all were such hard working, loving people and they prepared a mean 'homemade'.....thanks for sparking and indulging me in my memory. this year has come and gone so fast, i wonder if it seems that way to you both? i am grateful that bob and deb are home for this holiday. love to you both. xoxoxox

December 18, 2006 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like your visit with Matt, Rhane and Mandi was really great. I will have to talk to you about the Barbie ornaments. Seriously, your cookies are welcome any time of year. Thank your Mom for us all and I hope that you make it for Christmas Eve. Aunt Millie has already made the quiche twice but they weren't good enough for Robert! She is perfecting the recipe for him. Hang in there and know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Love

December 18, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger mo said...

Mary, you did not tell me about the tree....I would have gotten rid of the dog...i am so obsessive about the Christmas tree, I would've had a heart attack. But I know you're a real softie when it comes to your animals.

Sarah, that is hysterical about WOW. But I bet your being newlyweds, your husband doesn't play it as much as Bob. Has Kenny seen the commercial for it. I have to admit it is funny. Please give your parents our love. Hows' John doing? How is married life, speaking of being newly wed?

Kathi, I loved your blog. I never knew any of that...see, I told you I don't really know you very well. This year has gone fast in some respects and seemed to have dragged on in others. I think the draggy part was when Bob was in HUP, but the summer seemed to blow by. I guess b/c we didn't really have any summer to speak of this year...by we I mean Bob and I, of course. And than the fall seemed slow again, b/c we were waiting for the match for the sct. Any way, I can't believe Christmas is less than a week away and it's going to be 2007!!!! in less than 2 weeks. It seems like yesterday that people were hording water and duct tape for the new millenium.

Santa, what about the Barbies? They're the cutest things. It's a Hallmark series and I have them all but one. One year I decided to wait for the after Christmas sale and of course they were out of them. I did find one on e-bay, but it was an outrageous amount of money. So that's what I get for trying to pinch a few pennies. Still hope to be at Aunt Millies, but we're taking it a day at a time. Bob has been very nauseated today. He hasn't had any emesis, but as soon as he eats anything he feels sick. He's also a lot more tired these last 2 days. So I'll be playing it by ear.

Well, I just wanted to say hi, and respond to your remarks. I thought more people would be writing to Bob since he can't get out and isn't really up to "communicating" w/ anyone(that's an inside joke, only the folks who have heard our answering machine message will get it). It's hard to get a handle on how many people are still even reading this. I hear from time to time that people read it faithfully, but it makes me wonder why there are so few people writing. But I do appreciate the blogs we have received and Bob loved hearing from his patients after that last one...Ann, Linda, Donna, he thanked you all.

Wow, I didn't intend to be so windy. Guess I shouldn't have had that coffee earlier. And now that I wrote back here, I sure hope the people I wrote to see their messages...sigh. Well take care everyone. Hope you're all close to getting caught up and ready for the big day.

Love, Mo

December 19, 2006 11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning, it is always more fun to blog than to work. Today is our goodie day at work. Everyone brings in some treat, haven't done this in years so I am looking forward to it.

Glad to hear you are not too sick from the chemo. Hopefully you will start feeling better.

Had the 8 stitches in my little toe removed on Monday. Sure could have used my own personal nurse (Mo???). But now I can walk better.

Took a cookie making class at The Cooking Cottage last Friday. Really enjoyed it and want to take more courses. Of course I am not making any cookies this year, just not in the mood.

I am going to Skippack tonight, think they have Luminaries and we are trying a new chinese/japanese restaurant - The Black Dog.

Enough about me, Best wishes for a wonderful holiday. Hopefully you will soon be off house arrest.

Merry Christmas! Ann M.

December 20, 2006 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MO It is great how youall keep up your spirit snd as I read your letters, I think back when I had my hits. I was always very low and ready to give up. If it weren't for the support from or mates we [I] would be a basket case. We think and pray for you all the time. joe& stella k

December 20, 2006 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again!
Married life is fun- but I bet Kenny could compete with Dr. Bob for amount of playing time. . . it keeps him busy while I study study allll the time! I havent seen the commercial for WOW- but I bet kenny has- and i bet it is funny- it's such a funny game (Kenny is always trying to tell me about his hunter this or his warlord that...!)
I think I am going to be an OB/GYN doctor! I didn't think I would like it at all- but LOVED it! =) I also really like Emergency Medicine- I have to decide by this spring what to do when i grow up! *scary!!
John's doing well- he's also trying to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up =) He is thinking something along the lines of environmental sciences- but he also likes political science too.
And my parents are doing well also- they check this blog and Mrs. T's blog almost every day (though their internet skills aren't so great for posting each day- haha)- but we're all thinking about you both all the time! We really appreciate being able to read about what's going on- thank you for keeping us all updated!
Happy WOW-ing to dr. Bob!
Love,
Sarah =)

December 21, 2006 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there you two... figured I'd get to you faster on the blog than on the phone... I'm thinking of you ALL the time ,and hoping you are REALLY O.K.....I know it's a rat race out there,and just getting over to CMMC is a nightmare ( thank goodness you don't have to go downtown!!) I was hoping to see you before Christmas, but I was coughing up green for several days (finally Gary put me on a Z pak)...I didn't want to risk getting you sick again Bob....what a pain...I don't want to have to come off my RA drugs ,so I hope the "Z" works....are you doing a lot of cookies Mo ??? or no time...We saw Anita and Bill the other nite and she hasn't done any cookies yet...He usually does alot to help, so her right hand is temporarily out of commision!!I ,of course ,bought a box of brownie mix I have yet to open(maybe today)...later we all meet at Dan and Mich's place for a tree trimming party( I spent three days there helping her decorate the house in preparation for the main event)...she was astounded at how hard it was and how much time it took and can't imagine how I did it by myself all these 38 years( I can't imagine it either!!) I keep saying I want to fly to Puerto Rico for Chistmas and forget about everything ...and just have FUN, FUN,FUN, ....I can dream can't I???? Well my dears, have a very MERRY MERRY Christmas and of course a HAPPY,HAPPY,not to mention HEALTHY NEW YEAR..GOD BLESS US EVERYONE!!!Love you lots Hugs and kisses galore XXXOOO:)Bev and crew

December 23, 2006 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home