Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Day 39 Admission...Countdown to home

Hi everybody,

Well, believe it or not, it looks like Bob may come home on Monday. It may be late Monday, with all the planning that has to be done, but that's okay. I stayed home today to clean...trust me when I say the dust would've choked Bob coming in the door, if I hadn't. Kate helped with vacuuming and laundry, and Megan went to the grocery store and Post Office. Don't know what I'd do w/o "my girls". Tom and Anna went to visit Bob, and came back laden with pictures, Cds, DVDs, and books. It's amazing how "stuff" accumulates. There's still a good bit to go, and I hope to put a big dent in that tomorrow. So we are ready.

Now for something completely different...good news. Bobs' neutrophil count is up to 346!!!! And he hasn't had a fever all day!!! I'm hoping that he'll remain afebrile at home, but we'll just take it one day at a time. His antibiotics have been switched to oral, from IV. And there's a tentative plan to actually schedule Bob to get platelets every M-W-F, and blood as needed. They are going to coordinate everything with our local hematologist, so that Bob is able to receive his transfusions up here, rather than have to go back and forth to HUP. So, there you have it. I'm so excited at the thought of having Bob back home. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up too high, b/c we never know what could happen w/ fevers etc. in the next 2 days. So fervent prayers requested again for the nasty fevers to stay away.

I'll keep you posted, and as always...thank you, thank you, thank you. We are so blessed to have such wonderful people in our lives. God bless all of you for your generosity and concern these last 6 weeks.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob and Mo,
Go ahead Mo, get your hopes up... Bob is coming home !! You go neutrophils, we are not stopping now.
As to the dust, many thanks to your wonderful "girls".

Home will look terific to Bob no matter what.
Each day is in fact a new day, and tomorrow wil take care of itself. I do believe St.Anthony is traveling this adventure with you both.
Mo, I am going to try and call you now, Bob I think I missed the cut off for your phone but will call tomorrow.
Holy Cow....I am so happy.
Love,
Anne

May 06, 2006 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news you two!! Will keep the prayers coming to get you home and on your way to recovery.
Great neutrophil count Bob, must be the food they serve at the HUP Hotel.
Also keeping everything crossed(that still crosses), that you get out of there as planned on Monday.
Love, Kim

May 07, 2006 6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, nothing like a beautiful sunny, sunday morning filled with singing birds and good news from the mazzola's. thanks for the good report and in return, i will be fervent in all ways. well, in many ways howabout that? hey i forgot to follow up on the guy a few blogs back who suggested that all bob needs is a new hat - did he follow up on it or is he all talk? i need to know b/c i don't wanna be looking for a cowboy hat in kulpsville if things have changed. as always, you are both in my heart and prayers. please accept my fervent x's and fervent o's. kathi.
it's fervence you asked for and fervence you'll recieve!

May 07, 2006 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Bob & Mo day 39 news is so good we can't wait for it to happen for you. Stella and I will wait for the green light when it's okay to see visit. Please don't sweat it and we know it will be some time until its's okay.I bet Dr. Bob never knew he has so many friends. Home sweet home. seya joe & stella kraynak

May 07, 2006 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you both enjoy the lasagna tonight. Bob looked great last night and had such good energy. Hope they get everything inline for a trip home tomorrow.Luv ya.

May 07, 2006 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert, I'm sooooo excited!!1 see fervent prayers work. i prayed and prayed that neutrophils would come and they have indeed started. so your marrow is still pumping out some good stuff. allelujah!!! thats probobly spelled wrong but you get the idea. i'm so glad you can get blood at home here. that will be so much easier for both you and mo not having to drive the sckukyll (also spelled incorrectly).thanks to meg and kate for all the help in getting the house ready. you both have been so wonderful to mo and bob.well sleep tight and i will pray for a speedy disch. tomorrow.lots of love Debbie

May 07, 2006 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Mazola:

I would like to send you my best wishes.

You are missed!

from Maria Fakkel
(my daughter Rose is sending this message from their computer)

May 07, 2006 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mo and Bob, This is my first blog trip and it's not too hard even for a 65 y/o, eh, Bob! Greetings from your birthday buddy, Richard Nutt. I understand (from the page I just lost) that you are going home tomorrow. I'm pleased to know that you are improving. We are doing okay here in Georgia, but I still have a lump in the throat for LMG and the friends we left behind. I'm doing locum tenens work mostly here in Georgia but also some in Maine and Wisonsin. The work is mostly trauma, and the places are always happy to have me and I can always see the "end" as the assignments are usually only a couple or three weeks. The pay is good and I am still "current" in my surgery and general medicine.
The beauty of it all is that it's part time and I can pick and chose when and where to work.
My grandbaby Patrick Joseph Michalski, age 5 months has been very ill and was 5 weeks at CHOP with my daughter Kathryn there for the entire time. He is home now on TPN with what we think is an AV malformation affecting the portal circulation and causing a relative bowel ischemia when he tries to eat. He is much better on TPN but will require surgery or interventional radiology when he is big enough to undergo a procedure. If I had been aware I would have stopped in to see you as I was in Phily for a couple of days visiting.
Glad you are improving; I have a special place in my heart for you and your excellence as a doctor. We will remember you in our prayers. I will stay tuned to your blog site. Richard

May 10, 2006 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home