Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Day 38 Admission

Dearest friends and family,

I didn't really intend to write again tonight, but after reading the blogs, I just have to thank you all. They've really touched me, and I know Bob will feel the same way when he reads them.

I should also let you know that Bob actually had 46 neutrophils today. So that is a start. Normally they like them to be 500 or > before you can be sent home, but we actually talked to Patty the discharge coordinator today about coming home at the beginning of next week. She said that it's possible to come home with a lower ANC, but Bob might have to stay on IV antibiotics. I'm sure he will also continue to need blood and platelets, so theses things have to be coordinated with a home care agency. Bob did need platelets today, and once again was just zapped by the benadryl. He didn't have any fevers while I was there, but this evening his temp went up to 100.4. Still not as bad as 102.8...which happened early Thursday morning at 6am. I don't think I ever told you, but Dr. Luger thinks Bobs' temps are from the leukemia itself, and Bob may have to go home with fevers, but they complicate things. Normally when a pt. goes home after chemo, they're told to come back if their temp hits 100.5, so they can be cultured and started on antibiotics. Well, Bob has been cultured out the wazoo(literally), and they have all been negative, plus he is already on antibiotics, so this is something we are going to have to play by ear. But what we are really hoping is that his temps just stay down, so I can have him back home.

Bob is watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon tonight.(Btw, Matt he loves the DVD player, and I loved your blog tonight...thank you. And Deb and Joe, I have your DVD player at home...thank you so much for sharing.) So he's feeling pretty good. He's going to try and get some laps in tomorrow if he's feeling okay. He really hasn't been walking for 2 weeks now, and I'm afraid he's going to feel that, once he gets home. But he's been a model pt, and I know he'll do what he can.

Now, just a few comments on your blogs...........Kris, I'm not entirely convinced that you hadn't started the Cinco de Mayo celebration a little early, and blogged that schizophrenic post yourself.I think I hear Margaritaville playing in the background.........Wanda, I feel that I should know the hot pickle/ICU story since I worked there 22 years, but I can't think of what it is. Do you want to share?........Kim, I'm so excited b/c I know about the fat lady singing.(At least I think I do). During the golden age of Vaudeville there were always many acts, but the last one was always a fat woman singing. Hence, it ain't over etc. Kris, is that right?........and finally Mandi, thanks for sharing that sweet tale. I loved it.

Once again, thank you so much. As Matt said, have Faith and Hope. We are doing our best, with the help of your love and support.

All our love,

Bob and Mo

P.S. Now I need help from a computer geek....When I used to hit enter, the cursor would move to the line immediately beneath, but now it won't cooperate...witness my sign-off above. How can I correct that????

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First? the west coast does have it's advantages.. glad the neutorphils are making an apperance..slow and steady..sorry about the fever though.. hopefully once you get all the necessary neutorphils , the fever will start to become disappear! speaking of disappearing.. what's the status on the mustache? any mole sightings yet?
Don't worry about that first blog about the bmb mo, it just gave us bloggers incentive to kick up the prayers, like we all did for deb.. and we saw what happened there, and with bob's positive attitude and strength , and your loving support and the support of all his friends , we should be hearing better news soon..hang in there dr. mazzola..mdf
p.s. were all the "good" movies checked out of the video shop??

May 05, 2006 11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Bob,
Hope today finds you fever-free with neutrophils climbing. That portable DVD player is certainly a Godsend...I'm glad your eyes are cooperating.
Busy weekend here, but you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
(Just sent a long email to Mo and now I'm exhausted...you have no idea how long it takes me to type).
Laps, laps, laps...Home, home, home!!
Love, Kim

May 06, 2006 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob and Mo,we haven't forgotten you. I sent 3 messages out,which never reached you because I did not complete the [publish buttom]. Ann and Jim Folkes and Paul and Janice Malack always ask about you and I keep them informed from the BLOG.We all pray and wish you the best and always hope to see you when you get home. love from all joe and stella

May 06, 2006 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon mazz, hope this letter finds you well. Having many good and positive thoughts for you. Will be in the area next week, thought of dropping a few favorite sci-fi books off in case your still at uph and have the energy, have you read A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, or Farenheit 451 lately? Incidentally, I remember waking up in the hospital after being diagnosed with type-1 diabetes and my sugar ~800, you said 'call me mazz'and proceeded to go far above and beyond what was expected to help me out. Even as I was exiting the hospitals some days later and you were walking by and saw me on the pay phone trying to wrangle with my insurance company -you took the phone from my hands and began to take charge of the situation until it was settled in my favor. Your the man doc., thanks. Talk to you soon, harry

May 06, 2006 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home