Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Day 28

Hello everyone,



Well, it's never a dull moment here at the Mazzola-Noon household. First I'll say right away that Bob is fine, but things have been hectic again. When Bob came home on Sunday the 10th, my parents went to my brothers house to stay w/ them, so they could go to Kates' graduation that Wed. They were set to go home the following Thursday and my brother called that my Mom was having palpitations........so, long story short, she was in Grandview for atrial arrhythmias, had a whole battery of tests, some meds changed and is now back in Scranton and doing fine....phew! Thank goodness my parents are taking turns w/ their hospitalizations.



Bob had an appt. at Penn on Wednesday, the first we've seen Dr. L. since the transplant, and she's very pleased w/ how well he's doing. His counts are super......137,000 platelets, hgb 11.5 and wbc 2.4. His other labs are good too......drug levels that have to be checked weekly, electrolytes, and viral titers. She did think that Bob looks a little pink, which I attributed to his good blood count, but he also has a very light redness on his back, chest and legs, sort of like a mild sunburn. She attributes this to GVHD or graft vs. host disease, which is from the new stem cells attacking Bobs own cells, because it senses them as foreign. But this is mild evidence of GVHD and something they actually like to see, b/c it means that the stem cells are also attacking the leukemia cells. So all in all, a great visit.



Bob's feeling well except for the fatigue. He actually came out w/ me today to run errands though he didn't leave the car. He's doing daily exercises that PT at HUP recommended to increase his stamina. Oh, and he's eating great too, in fact he's gained about 5 lbs since coming home.....though that's on different scales and w/ and w/o regular clothes and shoes(not to put any unwanted mental images in your heads---ha!). During the day he reads and watches the Food Network or baseball if there's an afternoon game, and usually takes a nap late afternoon. And at night he usually watches more baseball, but after I've seen Jeopardy. He will make an exception if there's poker on, as we both love to watch and play Texas Hold Em, or if we have a good dvd to watch. I've been cooking up a storm, although I took a break a few days ago and we had a Freschetta frozen pepperoni pizza(I know food talk again), which was not bad at all. And I have to say, now that Famous pizza is gone, I'm not too enchanted w/ the other places we've tried for takeout pizza(before the transplant of course).......any suggestions out there?



I think that's all that's new in our neck of the woods. How the heck are all our buddies out there? Why don't you write and drop us a line.........I know, I know, you're saying that's the pot calling the kettle. But we'll honestly try to be better about posting and now that Bobs' feeling stronger I'm gonna nag him too. Thank you, as always, for the constant support and prayers. It means the world to us both to have such great friends and family. We'll write soon.



All our love,
Bob and Mo

Bob and Mo

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck is GVHD? Just dropped the boys of for their bach party, hopefully they'll all be good. Glad to hear that you're gaining weight Uncle Bob. I'll try to stop over tomorrow before Matt's birthday party.

xoxo MEG

June 22, 2007 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Fiore's for pizza(in Ralph's Corner by the dress barn) Joe, the owner was a student of mine --he's a great cook! I'm glad you''re doing so well. Keep it up! Mom's doing well at Sunrise and I'm finally starting to relax a little about her care. (There for awhile I thought I might need a room at Sunrise too!)OY! STRESS! We're soon starting to get our daughter ready for Law School. No rest for the weary. Keep up that strength. Donna D.

June 23, 2007 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Dr. Bob and Mo,
were glad to hear about the great progress you are making. If you are looking for a nice, quiet place to walk, try the Peace Valley Park - paved walkway,around almost the entire lake, benches available to sit and relax, nature center, shaded and unshaded sections, etc. If you never tried it, you might like it a lot. Also, please let us know when you would like to taste Aniko's cooking.
All the best to our "second" favorite physician (the "first" has to be son Steve!). By the way, we attended the annual Rosenthal memorial lecture at Abington, and Dr. Gottlieb inquired after you and sent his good wishes.
Enjoy the weekend!
George and Aniko

June 23, 2007 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though we had to wait for the latest blog..it was worth it! Glad to hear things are going well for you.. sure you'll get your strength back in time.
Mo said you are watching alot of baseball,,, have you been watching the college world series/ I love watching that,, in fact last year mark was in a tournament in omaha during this time and got to go to quite a few games...
Last night Tim and Patrick went ot the Giants vs Yankees game..they had a good time.. Mark is in oregon playing in a tournment with the american legion.. so i went and saw Knocked UP..(funny,but now i see what movies my boys are seeing.. scarey how blahzee they are about flesh now a days) , then went out for some good, authentic mexican food..
I hope you continue on this good road back to recovery.. i'll keep checking in and continuing my prayers.. mdf

June 23, 2007 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BIL and SIL,
Hey Mo if you can abbreviate everything so can I ! Bob must look stupendous with his added weight, and that rosy glow. I just love reading these good news blogs.
All is well here. Bill is doing a fabulous job with his weight. He is now down about thirty pounds since January. He "graduated" from cardiac rehab, and is now doing exercises at the Wellness Center. Seems they give him a bit more of a workout. His muscles apparently are not happy with their new responsibilities.
D.J. moved into his new digs last Tuesday. The move went well despite it being 97 degrees in the shade ! Have to admit I miss him. I guess that quirky sense of humor of his is what I need at the end of the day.
As for me I leave for Florida in about ten hours. Mom has sold her condo, so now I need to go down and clean out and box a few personal items. This is a quickie trip...will return on Tuesday.
Now that I am talking to you I have this urge to call.........so feel free to ignore this entire blog!!!!!
love ya,
Anne

June 23, 2007 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

It's Jean, Joan, No.....Joanne!
Glad to hear that you are back home and doing well!

I am going to Florida July 10th for a week to visit my best friend Stef - she was diagnosed with breast cancer the same time I was diagnosed with my ovarian ca. We have been best friends since age 5 and still can't believe that this happened to both of us at the same time. She finished her chemo and will be done her radiation when I get there. We are both lucky that our cancers were caught so early - now we will celebrate together!

We have been busy with company the past couple months - other than that, not much else going on. Just trying to stay cool with all the 90 degree days here. My mother is thinking of moving down here from Upstate NY. She has to think about it - big move for her if she does.

Do you ever hear from or see Anita Lucas? I often wonder how she is doing.

Well, take care and continue to get well! Bobby says hello.

Joanne

June 25, 2007 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you both doing? I sure hope you are feeling stronger everyday...hey, are you Bonds fan? only 6 more homeruns. right.. wonder if he'll do it at pac bell.. i told you i saw him at Toys R Us once.. i though t he was an orderly from stanford hospital , till i saw kids asking for his autograph (which he wasnt giving, since he was shopping for his kids) can't blame him, but when i noticed the earring, i figured it out...slow.but sure.
Mark is back, they had fun, won every game, but then the championship game got rained out, so they came home.. a 9 hr drive!. more games wed, thurs, and this weekend.
Patrick is suppose to go camping this weekend,, not sure now with tahoe burning up! i think he would be just as happy watching the new transfromer movie...
well, sure hope you are both doing okay on frozen pizza,, now you're cooking my way!
take care.. prayers continue..mdf

June 26, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hey Mo and Dr. Bob-

It is GREAT to hear how well you are doing, Dr. Bob. And Mo, ai-yi-yi, you sure have been busy!

Think of you guys often and heard from Deb that things were going well for you. We spent a nice day together last week - even got out and did a little mall crawling! Don't know if Debbie mentioned that we sold our Jersey house and are getting ready to make the move out west - Denver. So you know what I've been doing...

Stay out of the heat today - it looks like another scorcher!

K

P.S. I like the California Pizza Kitchen frozen pies - especially the pizza margherita. You might want to give one of those a try!

June 27, 2007 8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mo, did you happen to notice the UPDATE on deb's blog.. ha.. i do hope,,and wonder,, how your husband is doing??? I will continue the good vibes, and prayers.. and hey.. mo.. not every guy holds hands.. ha.. mdf

June 29, 2007 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bob and Maureen,

Glad to hear the good news that things seem to be going well. Keep building your strenght up. Keep you and Mo in my prayers everyday. Mo I have added your parents to my list.
jean

July 02, 2007 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home