Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Greetings

Happy Easter Everyone,

I hope everyone's enjoying this beautiful day w/ family and friends. We're looking forward to spending the afternoon w/ Bobs' sister Santa and family. We had hoped to have my parents down for the holiday, but my brother, niece Kate and sister-in-law Anna have all been hit w/ a GI bug that we didn't want to pick up. I'm scheduled to go to Scranton this coming Thursday to take my parents to different MD appts. and hope to bring them down after that. At least I hope I can get to Scranton. Bob is still experiencing the GVHD rash, in fact it is worse and has been accompanied by great fatigue. Dr. Luger wants to put Bob on an intravenous immunosuppressant treatment. He'll need two doses the first week and then it's weekly thereafter....and of course it has to be given at HUP. We had hoped to get the first dose in this past Friday, but of course, the drug wasn't available. So that pushes us to 2 doses this week, and I'm worried that the second dose is going to have to be given on Thursday when I should be in Scranton....we shall see. That seems to be the way our life is going these days....as Bob says 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. But I suppose that leaves us at least one step ahead???

We have been crazy busy....hence the delay in the post. I haven't even checked my e-mail in a week. In fact let me take the chance to say thank you to anyone who's reading this, that may have sent Congratulation wishes on the birth of Matthew. I hope to get to the e-mail after writing this.
The past 2 weeks, besides several trips to HUP(for Bobs eyes and to see Dr.Luger) we have also been, as Bob says "performing our due diligence". We have been to Pipersville, Blooming Glen, Hatboro(x2, since we didn't know that Gamburgs furniture store is "traditionally" closed on Wednesdays)Skippack and Montgomeryville.....all in search of invoices for the furniture that was either destroyed or being restored. The cost of restoration is running in the thousands, and we need to prove that it would be a greater cost to replace most of our pieces. If in fact they can be replaced at all. Did you know most furniture stores don't sell solid wood bedroom suits anymore? We sure didn't. We had a solid cherry set which is next to impossible to find....at least locally. I haven't searched online yet. But the woman we spoke to at Gamburgs said all the sets are now veneers.....cheaper of course, but if damaged in a fire, would not be restorable. So, hold onto that solid wood furniture. We're also working on our clothing inventory...10 pages of clothes and linens that were destroyed or unable to be cleaned. Now, how many of you remember when you bought your clothes and how much they cost....when you can't even see them. All you have is a piece of paper that lists what type...skirt, shirt etc. and the number of pieces....no identifying info at all, and we're supposed to date everything and list the cost and replacement value. This is so frustrating to me. Our adjuster just says...do your best. I sit at the table and try to picture my closet in my mind...and basically get nowhere. I'm lucky I can remember my name these days, let alone all this other baloney. And then there's always the fun stuff that comes up, like my glasses broke and I don't have a backup pair anymore, so there's 3 days spent trying to get them repaired(they were beyond help), getting an eye exam(thank you Dr. TJO for taking me in so swiftly...there are perks working at an opthamology practice) and picking out frames etc.
We were also busy this week in a new and pleasant way, as Meg and Matthew Thomas spent a few days w/ us. Well, I guess Grand Uncle Bob wasn't any busier than usual, but I was thrilled to be changing diapers and rocking Matthew to sleep. He is such a sweetie, and despite his Uncles opinion that all babies are cute, I must say he is very beautiful. And such a peanut, still less than 8#'s. The first night he slept from 11p til 5a, but the 2nd night he was up every 2 hours(not that Bob or I heard him). So he's not quite got a good sleep pattern yet. Hopefully, soon. But he is healthy, and that of course is everything.

I should also tell you that Bobs eyes are better. The opthamologist at HUP released Bob after his last visit, and his drops are finally done. Even w/ all my practice putting drops in at work, Bob was very difficult. He's one of those people who squeezes his eyes shut, so you have to pry them apart to get the drops in. Sheesh! He still needs to wash them w/ the J&J baby shampoo a few x's a day to keep the crud from coming back. But at least the itching and burning are gone. Now if we can get this new treatment started, hopefully the fatigue will get better.

Well, I just saw the time, so I better close. Oh, but I must mention March Madness before I go. Villanova just won their second round game...GO WILDCATS, and Georgetown(Bobs alma mater) is up by 8 as I write this....GO HOYAS. And to make matters even better Duke lost yesterday...HOORAH! Alas anonymous blogger(whom I suspect is Ms. A.M.), Marquette will not be in the final 4, but your other 3 predictions are still alive.

I also wanted to say hey to Jax and Connie and thanks for writing. It was great to hear from you. And another big thank you to May Day for her unfailing support, blogging and prayers. And to all who don't write, but continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers, we thank you and hope you are blessed today and everyday w/ health, love and happiness.

All our love,
Bob and Mo

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mo, im so glad you are the nurse you are, but boy, you could have been an english major. you write great blogs..informative with just enough fun..
sorry that dr. mazzola is still not 100%,but it sounds like he is on the road to recovery..
i know you're enjoying little matthew.. he sounds so cute.. weird,, but don't their heads smell great at that age??
well, im still cooking my ham. enjoying our spring break,, it just started and its so nice having patrick home, and mark home, i really enjoy them so much...mark is in a baseball tournament this whole week in san francisco. and patrick said that he is just going to "kick it" !so,, keep the good health coming..have a great easter.. and i will do my part with the continue good wishes and prayers...mdf

March 23, 2008 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Bob!

April 01, 2008 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo and Dr.Mazzola.. im hoping no updates mean status quo.. and that your holding your own.. i will continue to send prayers and continue to hope this all means good stuff.. ttyl, mdf

May 15, 2008 7:18 PM  
Blogger jean said...

hello to you both. hope all is well. Mo, I still have your painting. We will get together one of these days. Bob, I do hope you are fairing well. I do keep you in my prayers. I am heading back to work on Monday. Can't believe it. Right now I really could use two weeks in Cape May. I will just have to get down on weekends when I can.

May 31, 2008 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mo, getting nervous,, havent heard anything in awhile..its time for your next holiday update!! im hopinng and praying that everything is going well for Bob. but everytime i call it says your mailbox is full, soooo ..
let me know when you get a chance..i'll just keep the prayers going on my end.. mdf

June 30, 2008 3:15 PM  
Blogger jean said...

Hello to you both,

Hoping all is well. Just want you to know that I keep you both in my prayers every day.

Love, hugs and prayer
jean

September 04, 2008 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home