Dr. Bobs Adventure

We've created this blog for several reasons. First is to keep family and friends(including Bobs' pts.)informed of Bobs' condition while he undergoes treatment for Acute Myelogenous Leukemia(AML) at HUP. You may also write to Bob by posting a comment, which I'll print for him to read. Please feel free to pass this blog site on to anyone you think may want to join us.Instructions to blog are listed under day 12, and bobs' address etc are under day 14. Click on April Archives to find both.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The adventure continues

I've been writing on Facebook about Bobs' latest setback. I'm going to copy and paste to get everyone up to speed, then will try and write every day once he's at HUP.

First entry was from Oct. 19th
Requesting prayers for my Bob. He's in the hospital with pneumonia. Thanking God that he has normal bone marrow and functioning immune system.
Oct. 21st
Bob is coming along, but it's slow going. Still quite sob with exertion. He had another cxr yesterday, but we didn't hear the results yet. The other worrisome thing is that he has pitting edema from feet to thighs...so far echo is normal and venous doppler is neg. for clots. He had lasix twice and thats helped some, but its still bad. At any rate he's FINALLY where he needs to be...physician heal ...
thyself...if you get my drift. I'm hoping for pulmonary rehab and PT also so we can get him fine tuned. He hopes to be D/C'd tomorrow. Thank you again for all the prayers, good vibes and well-wishes you've all sent.As I've said so many times before we'd be nowhere w/o our friends and family. Thank you too to Sam and Santa for the visit yesterday..sorry I missed you. Did you bring the yummy Lindt chocolates? And also to our friends Lee and Yvonne, who when Bob said he had a hankering for root beer, went out and got him a 12 pack. And last but not least, thanks to Meg for visiting with M and M, who brought "Bobby" 2 freshly picked apples and lots of cheer! Love and thanks to all!
Later that day,
 
Well, I jinxed Bob. Not only won't he be dc'd tomorrow, but he's scheduled for a bronch. The cxr wasn't improved, sputum is negative, and the thought is that this is aspiration pneumonia. Bobs had frequent coughing spells with a lot of sinus drainage that he has always attributed to gvhd. Now he's remembering choking on a pill a few weeks ago. At any rate it will all be investigated tomorrow. Le...
gs are still looking terrible too. All the lasix did was drop his bp. But he's in good spirits, God love him and sends his thanks and his best to all of you. Thank you to my 2 blonde friends for the visit and the soft pretzels...darn I'm ticked that I missed you. And to brother Bill and sis Anne, I'm Thrilled I did see you! So good night and have a great Monday!
 
Oct 22nd.
Nothing to report...bronch was cancelled as schedule was too full!! Of course they couldn't decide that until 2p when he's already missed 2 meals....grrrrrr! Sorry for the long medical posts. I'm used to blogging and writing like that in the blog. Supposed to be done by 10:30a
Tomorrow .....we'll see. Thanks to all for the good thoughts, posts and prayers. It means so much to us. Love from me and himself :)
 
Oct 23rd
 
Nothing to report...bronch was cancelled as schedule was too full!! Of course they couldn't decide that until 2p when he's already missed 2 meals....grrrrrr! Sorry for the long medical posts. I'm used to blogging and writing like that in the blog. Supposed to be done by 10:30a
Tomorrow .....we'll see. Thanks to all for the good thoughts, posts and prayers. It means so much to us. Love from me and himself :)
Oct.24th
 
Unfortunately the news is not great today. At about 230p Bob became tachycardic with heartrate of 160 and bp in 80s. Ekg was probly atrial but too regular to tell...and yes he did interpret his own ekg before the tech left, right down to the rbbb and flattened q wave. Yep, he's still got it!! Anyway they whisked him down to telem. But he broke before they could treat it. He's now on digoxin. Since...
his systolic bp never tops 100 and his lungs are crappy he cant get beta blockers. And the cxr was worse today which surprised me b/c of all the mucus they got out during the bronch. So now our favorite ID doctor is on the case and she started Bob on flagyl! And I'll beg forgiveness for the medical details, but I know there are inquiring medical minds out there who want them. Oh and he's scheduled for the swallowing study tomorrow. So room phone is now 215-361-4758. Bob's resting now after eating a bowl of potato -leek soup I made this am, and I'm going to go home now and get some myself. Please keep those prayers and good vibes coming. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Oct. 25th
Your prayers are being heard....Bob is coming home tomorrow. Too exhausted to write more. Just got home and have to be back at work at 630am. Thank you again. YOU all are amazing! Love and prayers from us both.
Oct28th
Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. Bob came home Friday afternoon, thanks to our dear and good friends, the Aranos, as Bob insisted I go to work. I've started a new job at Hillmont GI and the staff there could not be more understanding and supportive. But I digress. Bob is okay but just okay. He's on O2 and is quite SOB with exertion, and his legs are still quite red and edematous...it's not c...
ellulitis though. Having said all that, he feels good and he thinks he's doing swell. I guess as a nurse, I'd like him to be "all better", with all problems solved and breathing easily. Of course I'd really like it if he'd never had this damn disesase, but I can't turn back time. Anyway, we are fine and hope we don't lose power and the O2 compressor cuz I think the big tank will only last about 6 hours. Has everyone battened your hatches? Take care. Stay safe and dry the next few days. Sending a big thank you hug to all for your prayers and support.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home